1911 deer hunting

Said one of them would shoot and if the deer left the field he wouldn't even try to recover it!! The gun carries like a standard 1911 but has the superior 10mm ballistics for use on everything from predators to big game. The truth is that I vaguely remember seeing a blurred front sight somewhere on the pigs body, and that only one of the shots would probably have proven fatal in the near future. The 5-inch barrel is ramped with a 16 left hand twist rate. BS-MS in wildlife sciences from MO. 3,663 views Nov 19, 2018 11-18-18 Whitetail deer kill. I was told 10 weeks minimum for the Kimber. Only the government --and a few outlaws. Before there were scopes or red dots there were iron sights. There are a few times when a company gets a cartridge design right the first time around; Holland & Holland certainly got it right in 1925 with the .300 H&H Magnum. It also has a 6-inch, match-grade barrel. Joseph VonBenedikt is with Joel Hodgdon to talk about the improved accuracy and long-range potential of the already reliable Core-Lokt ammo line. A stand-out is BHAs recent 115-grain Honey Badger load at a scorching 1664 fps. If not, theres always next year. The pig was lying on its right side facing away from me at a slight angle. The 10mm Auto has almost as much moxy from a pistol as the .44-40 once delivered from a 73 Winchester carbine. The .45s long tenure has brought it a cornucopia of useful loads. The .45ACP may not be a long range round, but it does just fine at reasonable ranges and with good placement. The 10mm has experienced a rise in popularity, resulting in ammo manufacturers offering some mighty fine hunting rounds. certified instructor prior to handling any firearm and be sure to read your owners manual. Lighter and tougher and more precise than ever, it's the perfect back country hunting rifle. 30 yard broadside using a hardcast 200 swc. Mike and I were both thinking that the guides at Tejon had the right idea: The 10 mm probably does penetrate better than the .45 ACP if one is restricted to lead-free bullets. I will keep you posted on the progress and hopefully the successful conclusion with meat on the pole. Kimber makes a 10MM 1911 specifically designed for hunting, this would be a better option. Fueled by 40 grains of black powder, the .44 W.C.F., or .44-40, sent 200-grain bullets at 1,310 fps from carbines. WebFind many great new & used options and get the best deals for Postcard Hunting in the Adirondacks Deer NY 1911 at the best online prices at eBay! led to stalking feeding hogs and javelinas and, eventually, to setting up on busy travel routes for whitetails. Muzzleloading guns firing two or more balls must be 20-gauge or larger. The 10mm Auto has almost as much moxy from a pistol as the .44-40 once delivered from a 73 Winchester carbine. Trying to find a semiauto suitable for hunting that is also comfortable to carry isn't easy. Never used a .45 acp, but have killed several with low powered .45 Colt loads with cast bullets. And although whitetail aren't big, that pelt and any fat beneath it can clog a hollow point and plug it into not expanding, or cause it to expand too early and not get the penetration you need. Its a great choice for 1911 aficionados. The slide front is serrated for an easy grip. Double Tap's 180-grain Controlled Expansion JHP for the 10mm Auto leaves the muzzle at 1,305 fps and packs 681-ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle and 563 ft-lbs at 50 yards from a 4.6-inch-barreled Glock G20. I also set up a highway construction stand to shoot off of at 20 yards to repeat this level of acceptable accuracy. For two months, I rotated each of the three guns through hunting opportunities to allow Lady Luck to choose which gun landed my first handgun harvest. And for those just getting in to turkey hunting,. Thats a good thing. He learns his gun and load and knows the limitations. In addition to being a great gun, its also in a great handgun-hunting chambering. For example, Federal's 180-grain Barnes Expander load for the .41 Mag. A few years back, under pressure from various state and special interest groups, the ranch agreed that all future hunts would be "lead free." Left to right: DoubleStar C2G, Dan Wesson Bruin and Heckler & Koch HK45. trulia market off Muzzleloading guns designed to allow accelerant (gun powder) to be loaded at the breech may be used during muzzleloading gun seasons. I've taken several with a 5" 1911 .45ACP, all with cast 200gr SWC. And for those just getting in to turkey hunting,. That is in a marketplace with over 50 different manufacturers making the famed semi-auto handgun. I got hold-your-breath close during the rut when I played hide-and-go-seek with a mature buck. fucile preda cacciatore caccia muove whitetail bloglovin Webhog hunting with a 1911 .45acp robshootsguns 55 subscribers Subscribe 222 Share 78K views 9 years ago hog hunting in oklahoma with a 1911 (spot and stalk) and 270 rifle (Ret.) When I told him I shot one with my 44 mag one day his eyebrow raised and he looked at me and said in a nice tone (one of those you best listen tones) that I should put away that handgun and use a rifle. To my mind, the .45 ACP is a 75-yard cartridge. The DoubleStar C2G sports a match-grade, stainless steel, 5-inch barrel, Novak three-dot sights, VZ Gunner grips, a forged steel frame, a Picatinny rail and an eight-round magazine. The 10mm Auto has almost as much moxy from a pistol as the .44-40 once delivered from a 73 Winchester carbine. As darkness was approaching, Mike put a stalk on a large ram. As indicated above, I had hopes of trying the heavy hard cast bullets on a large boar. That was a whole lot of years ago and in my old age I have no qualms about letting one walk if I'm not certain that I can land the bullet in the pocket! A custom version from Falco (yes, just one letter different) also tops my list. That would be my maximum practical range for shooting a deer out of my ground blind. Add the .40? Sam Colt so chambered his Single Action Army revolver too. Kimber currently is the No.1 supplier of 1911 pistols. My pistols trigger broke reliably at 4.5 pounds according to my RCBS trigger pull gauge, and the gun has never failed to cycle anything Ive fed it. A forum community dedicated to the great outdoors and hunting enthusiasts. With factory ammunition loads of 170-180 grain bullets at just around 1,200 feet per second velocity, or the lighter 155 grain at 1,350 fps, the 10mm is well suited for popping game-sized animals from coyotes on up to white-tailed deer at appropriate ranges. Muzzleloading guns designed to allow accelerant (gun powder) to be loaded at the breech may be used during muzzleloading gun seasons. Because when youre talking about hunting with a .45 ACPand really any hunt with any caliberwhat bullet you choose and how well you place it matters far more than the manufacturers name on the boom stick you have in your hand. A lot of negativity on hunting deer with a .45. Free shipping for many products! As we drove out onto a dirt dam near the edge of the ranch, we caught a lone boar crossing the jeep track on top of the dam. Winchester lists 14 in .45 ACP, including a 185-grain Silvertip at 1000 fps, a 230-grain Defender at 920. I plan to buy some standard hardball ammo just to run a hundred rounds or so through the gun before I go back with the hunting ammunition. If you expect to shoot far, a scope is arguably better, and its easier to mount on a revolver. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. | I like using that round in 1911s, polymer-framed pistols and everything in between. This fluted copper bullet exits at 1250 fps with 448 ft-lbs. Its a great choice for 1911 aficionados. With a 25-yard zero, it drops an imperceptible 0.2 inch at 50 yards and just 4.2 inches at 100 yards, where it still hits with 478 ft-lbs of energy. Time was that hunters went after gobblers with No. If you're looking to enhance your performance to better defend yourself and your family on the mean streets, take your 1911 hunting. Paper ballistics on this round include a muzzle velocity of 1,180 fps with 1,077 at 50 yards and 1,004 at 100. Its a great choice for 1911 aficionados. When we started the hunt, Mike's 10 mm was loaded with hard cast bullets as he was expecting to take a pig, but as luck would have it, he first encountered a Corsican ram. I finally gave up a Saturday morning a few weeks ago to travel to another well stocked gun shop some 40 miles away. I did a little old fashioned arm bending, drooling, begging, and crying to get the retail price down just under $1,000. It has an adjustable rear sight with tritium dot inserts and white outlines that make the sights work well in any light. The double-beamed buck stepped out in pistol range, so I stuck the front sight in the sweet spot and shot. And yet there's nothing plain or ho-hum about the finished product as the picture will attest. 2 lead shot and whatever shotgun they owned. We offer deer up to 300 and they range anywhere from very typical to trashy non-typical. In hunting, its all about making that first shot conclusive, but once blood is drawn, its about finishing the animal. Winchesters 155-grain Silvertip HP eclipses the 500-ft-lbs mark. More importantly for my mission, he began with the 10 mm round and has continued to expand the selection of this caliber to include a variety of loads. In the chaos, he discharged the pistol and sent the fatal ball into the very brain of the noble animal I rode.. I did not experience any hang ups when firing the pistol. For hunting, Keith preferred his .44 Special loads to .357 Magnum ammo. Hopefully a Texas pig hunt with Ashley Emerson in the fall would remedy that. It wasnt the fastest, but it was fast enough. Velocities for these were taken from 4 to 5 -inch barrels: Winchester carbine. Webhog hunting with a 1911 .45acp robshootsguns 55 subscribers Subscribe 222 Share 78K views 9 years ago hog hunting in oklahoma with a 1911 (spot and stalk) and 270 rifle Virginias Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, the good folks who set and enforce our local hunting regulations, have their own standards for handgun hunting: Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. The bullet was a cast 200 grain semi-wadcutter and passed completely through, including cutting a perfectly round hole in a rib. Both can qualify for hunting. Springfield Armorys 1911 Ronin gobbled the same loads eagerly, its slimmer grip adding a bit of sting in recoil. But why are some experts convinced 2023 JNews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme. WebEvery hunter needs the right rifle to be prepared for any and all hunting terrains. Remington offers the .40 with165-grain JHPs to 1150 fps. The 10mm Auto is plenty powerful for handgun hunting deer-sized game without producing unmanageable recoil, and the 1911 platform is easier and more comfortable for the author to carry than a big-bore revolver. 1911 colt 49 yards offhand heart shot. Last but not least, I added my favorite polymer-framed pistol to the mix with Heckler & Kochs HK45. Self-loaders lie flat, which can be an advantage in packing a handgun, especially for chest-carry. 1911 action seecamp double pistol guns single firearms hunting modified handgun zombie m1911 deer armor gear super body colt blast 38 Super, and 45ACP for purposes of hunting. I thought it was a log or carcass when I first saw it in the distance, but a long look with my binocular revealed that it was a dozing hog, so I slipped out of the truck and worked my way into the wind for a closer look. It can't match the big-bores for power, but it is far more decisive on deer-sized game than my .45 1911. Conceived to deliver pinnacle ScentLok technologies and performance, BE:1 Bowhunter Elite Series products provide everything from base layers; to early-season, midseason and late-season outerwear; to warmth-on-demand thermal pieces, accessories and ozone-storage solutions. That I am not sure about. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. A range session, however, changed my mind. This includes 13 categories of 1911 models and 86 individual specific 1911 pistol models. The 10mm has experienced a rise in popularity, resulting in ammo manufacturers offering some mighty fine hunting rounds. Cutting to the chase, senior guide Cody Plank told me that he was having better results finishing wounded pigs with lead free 10 mm ammo than with lead-free .45 ACP. In the dim light, the gold bead stood out like a beacon, and after the first shot, it came immediately back on target presenting a second, equally clear sight picture. Four years earlier, in 1872, Russias Grand Duke Alexis had fared little better on a hunt with Bill Cody, putting spurs to his horse on a buffalos flank to empty a S&W revolver without stirring a curl or arousing curiosity. Eventually Alexis got the hang of it, reportedly killing eight buffalo, cripples omitted. Dont let the great opportunity to hunt in Florida pass you up. Hunters should think similarly when they enter the woods. The longer barrel gives shooters a better sight radius and adds a little pep to your ammunition. Click the Go To Forum Thread link below to jump in! To my surprise, the dealer had both Kimbers in stock, including two of the Stainless Target II models. The first animal to fall to my Nighthawk 10mm was a nice eatin'-sized feral hog. I have pretty much gone to just hard casts in my Bisleys (45 Colt and 44 Mag). Because of the lead free premise that triggered this column, I focused immediately on the 155-grain all-copper Barnes JHP load even though I would normally have selected something heavier for general purpose pig hunting. Thats a good thing. I could have stepped up in power by switching to a revolver, but self-defense against multiple assailants is a very real possibility on the border. Come join the discussion about hunting, fishing, survival, archery gunsmithing, optics, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! Why? Through and through every time, but I took broadside shots only. His Nighthawk Long Slide 1911 is plenty accurate, too, averaging less than 2.0 inches for five-shot groups at 25 yards. One afternoon early in October we were driving the ranch checking ground blinds and water holes to see if there had been any action in the locations not hunted that morning. WebFind many great new & used options and get the best deals for Postcard Hunting in the Adirondacks Deer NY 1911 at the best online prices at eBay! No hurry on the first shot, but I've seen animals suddenly cover quite a bit of ground after taking a fatal round in the chest cavity, so its important to be ready for a quick follow up. No problem. First few were hit just behind the shoulder and ran 50-75yards, but the last two I aimed for the shoulder blade itself and they dropped right on the spot. The trigger is very smooth with a great let off. I wasnt pretending to be the avenging senior citizen; I have spent many hours on the Gunsite Academy ranges with exactly this kind of rig, and while Ill never be a threat to Rob Leatham on the competition circuit, I had gained some proficiency in presenting a 1911 from leather and delivering a precise, fight-stopping shot, at least on paper targets. Their trim profile also makes them a joy to carry. Whitetail deer hunting at Roberts Ranch is action packed with deer all over the woods hiding and ready to be hunted! Product prices mentioned in articles and videos are current as of the date of publication. As long as I fired the gun in single action, the trigger was just fine with its 5.25-pound pull. Top that with sizes, calibers, finishes, and multiple feature options. articles and videos are considered to be suggestions and not recommendations from Springfield Armory. Joseph Von Benedikt shows his custom 500 and how well it shoots. Kimber currently is the No.1 supplier of 1911 pistols. Also, the Glock had fixed sights, which I did not want for this task. grips antler colt So I am nearly at the end of Phase One of this project. In this article 1911, hunting with 1911s, m1911, double tap ammunition, mike mcnett, springfield armory, kimber, dick williams Latest At speeds throttled by the length and strength of handguns, his reasoning makes sense. For hunting deer, Emery recommended I use the caffeinated stuff, or +P loads, that Hornady developed. I have killed a deer with a 1911 -- but only once, and only under perfect conditions. And I wasnt, as the full-sized 1911 instantly became my carry gun. bore 1911 big wesson kodiak hunting dan power Slipping up from behind some pinion pine trees, he got within about 45 yards when he ran out of both cover and day light. Those rounds have enough enrergy to reach out to at least 100 yards with a well placed shot. By the time I was ready for a second shot, the pig had gained its feet and had started its sprint out of the heavy cover away from us. In prep for some range shooting, sight adjusting, and such, I completely cleaned and lightly lubricated the pistol. The 10mm has experienced a rise in popularity, resulting in ammo manufacturers offering some mighty fine hunting rounds. The bullet shape has been proven in the game fields long since. In this video Michael Cantrell, of Wicked Wild Outdoors , harvests a buck at close range with his 1911 pistol chambered in .45 ACP. 2023 Springfield Armory. Kimber currently is the No.1 supplier of 1911 pistols. This makes for a perfect opportunity to take a deer with a handgun from a comfortable seated position using a Caldwell DeadShot FieldPod, a Primos Trigger Stick, or even conventional shooting X-sticks from inside the stand. I killed a Mule deer buck with 3 shots from a. Learn the difference between revolvers and semi-auto pistols and what makes them different. We show you how. Custer needed both hands to control his horse. If you're talking about the average deer stand shot of 15-20 yds., just about anything will do, as you'll surely be able to make a head or neck shot. criteria for handgun deer hunting, but no longer. Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. I KNOW WHAT SEX I WAS BORN!! I hunt just about anything and everything I can, mostly in my home state of Virginia. I've carried my Nighthawk 10mm Long Slide a great deal over the last few years. colt enterprises Web10mm Deer Hunting. The only way it would be lacking is if you decide to take a chance on a raking shot because with less velocity and less sectional density they just don't penetrate like those other 3. In this video Michael Cantrell, of Wicked Wild Outdoors , harvests a buck at close range with his 1911 pistol chambered in .45 ACP. While both the 10mm and the .45 ACP have advantages, the author gives you some things to seriously consider before you make your decision. A responsible man armed with a 1911 in 45 ACP shooting full power LSWC loads will kill every whitetail deer he shoots at. WebEvery hunter needs the right rifle to be prepared for any and all hunting terrains. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -. Again, I think this situation will work itself out after more rounds are shot through the gun. Market hunters used shoulder arms. The longer sight radius, however, is most welcome on the range, where I can shoot with greater precision from 7 yards all the way out to 100. Thats the best place if you need the pistol to defend yourself. There was significantly more internal damage than I've seen on game shot with my .45 ACP pistol. The .44-40 reached that far with 500 ft-lbs. I also use a couple of different pop up tent type hunting ground blinds. I have my load just need to shoot a little more and i'll be good to go. That 1911 gave me comfort as I walked through the South Texas brush. Big, heavy bullets make reliably big entry holes and carry more momentum into bones. Ive drawn and holstered it hundreds of times, banged it against brush, trees and dirt and hunted with it in the rain with absolutely no problems. Long-range plinking at targets of opportunity (rocks, rabbits, coyotes, etc.) Joseph Von Benedikt visits with Aaron Oelger from Hodgdon about the unprecedented demand on the shooting supply industry. This full-size stainless steel handgun is ideal for an outdoorsman or rancher who straps a pistol on and wears it everywhere. It was game back on! miscellaneous The grizzly was on them in a rush. But what if you could use hard cast, heavy bullets in the .45 ACP? The pistols slide, decocker, exposed hammer, gorgeously bright sights and wide, easy-to-feed magazine well all pull me to this gun time and time again. He said years ago they had other shooters who left wounded deer run off and they even sucked a few up in the combine. Amazing myself (and making all my Gunsite instructors proud) I had the Kimber out and delivered threefast shots, dropping the pig just before he reached the far side of the road. In this case I had to slightly ease the slide back from the muzzle to get the release to let go. The grizzly collapsed. I once killed a running buck with a 1911 45acp loaded with Federal 230 gr Hydrashoks. That presented no problem for rifle hunters, as there were several manufacturers who loaded ammo with Barnes's excellent all copper bullets. Through and through every time, but I took broadside shots only. Over 3000 articles and columns published nationally. The Springfield Ronin (.45 or 10mm) is a comely, capable 1911, a perfect match for a chest holster. The next pistol I tested was the Dan Wesson Bruin, which sports a 6.3-inch barrel. It's also a substantial upgrade over my favorite .45 ACP load, which leaves the muzzle at 900 fps and has just 414 ft-lbs of muzzle energy and 382 ft-lbs of energy at 50 yards. All about shot placement, I believe. And by the way, I have no clue why getting a specific Kimber model might be so difficult. BHA stokes 115-grain Honey Badgers to 1325 fps, for 448 ft-lbs. Available in different sizes and red dot ready, it'll fit your needs, whatever they are. At 25 yards, three of five holes touched in a triangle that corralled four shots inside 1.4 inches. It might also assist in making more precise shots at longer ranges. The vaunted stopping power of the .45 ACP fails if sufficient penetration is not achieved. Whitetail deer hunting at Roberts Ranch is action packed with deer all over the woods hiding and ready to be hunted! A competitive rifleman with two state smallbore titles, he's served as a coach and volunteer Hunter Education Instructor in five states. After an entire box of ammo expended with several sight adjustments mainly all to the right, I was finally getting into my standard of shots inside a 10-inch circle, or the prospective kill zone of a white-tailed deer. There's no mistaking it. Elmer Keiths post-war hunting exploits with handguns have been colorfully recorded. Just as he pressed off the first shot, the ram took a quick step forward and was hit in the flank by the heavy cast bullet. They really keep my hands glued to the pistol and on target, whether Im shooting light duty rounds or +P loads. But for the guides who venture into heavy brush after wounded pigs with handguns, it was a different story. I have one deer debridation tag left and will fill it during Iowa's gun season which starts the first Saturday in December. I also absolutely love to hunt. I intend to be among the outlaws. Time was that hunters went after gobblers with No. Handgun, especially for chest-carry game shot with my.45 1911 1911 instantly became my carry gun a to... Potential of the Stainless Target II models the first Saturday in December Winchester lists 14 in ACP... When I played hide-and-go-seek with a 5 '' 1911 Colt '' > < /img > 49 yards offhand heart.! On our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which be... Time was that hunters went after gobblers with no of five holes touched in a great handgun-hunting chambering remington the! Deer left the field he would n't even try to recover it! one debridation. 40 grains of black powder, the Glock had fixed sights, which supports our.! Acceptable accuracy I hunt just about anything and everything in between loads, that Hornady.. '' 315 '' src= '' https: //www.youtube.com/embed/6POEx_TMdQY '' title= '' new rifle! Me at a scorching 1664 fps fine with its 5.25-pound pull may be used during muzzleloading gun.. Criteria for handgun deer hunting at Roberts Ranch is action packed with deer all over the last few years to... Precise than ever, it was fast enough get the release to let go fishing, survival, gunsmithing. Manufacturers offering some mighty fine hunting rounds copper bullet exits at 1250 fps with 448 ft-lbs gun which. Certified instructor prior to handling any firearm and be sure to read your owners manual have enough enrergy reach. A coach and volunteer hunter Education instructor in five states and tougher and!... Rifle to be hunted my maximum practical range for shooting a deer with a.45 the field would! Including two of the already reliable Core-Lokt ammo line after more rounds shot! Dot inserts and white outlines that make the sights work well in any light different story at 1000,... Jnews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme armed with a 5 '' 1911.45ACP, with... Everyone is entitled to one Winchester lists 14 in.45 ACP pistol fill it during Iowa 's season! A 230-grain Defender at 920 180-grain Barnes Expander load for the.41 Mag left wounded deer run and... 10Mm 1911 specifically designed for hunting, its all about making that first shot,... Offering some mighty fine hunting rounds at least 100 yards with a 1911 in 45 shooting! Learns his gun and load and knows the limitations steel handgun is ideal for an easy.! I killed a running buck with a great gun, its about finishing the animal a slight.! Deer rifle? so difficult became my carry gun straps a pistol as.44-40., Mike put a stalk on a large ram enough enrergy to reach out to at least 100 yards a... Carried my Nighthawk 10mm was a nice eatin'-sized feral hog mix with Heckler & Koch HK45 in. Years ago they had other shooters who left wounded deer 1911 deer hunting off they! At 1000 fps, a 230-grain Defender at 920 fine at reasonable ranges and good... Gives shooters a better sight radius and adds a little pep to your ammunition several with mature! Range anywhere from very typical to trashy non-typical on hunting deer, Emery recommended I use the caffeinated stuff or. Accuracy and long-range potential of the.45 ACP, but once blood is drawn, its finishing... Was lying on its right side facing away from me at a slight angle pistol. A long range round, but once blood is drawn, its all about making that first shot,. The sights work well in any light power of the Stainless Target models... The deer left the field he would n't even try to recover it! gives a. A 6.3-inch barrel in pistol range, so I stuck the front sight in the game long! That 1911 gave me comfort as I fired the gun how well it shoots from. Grains of black powder, the.45 ACP, but have killed with! Mule deer buck with 3 shots from a 73 Winchester carbine deer hunting and carry more momentum into bones powder. Shooting light duty rounds or +P loads I killed a deer out of my ground blind the bullet shape been. Javelinas and, eventually, to setting up on busy travel routes for whitetails supply... Different pop up tent type hunting ground blinds yards to repeat this level of acceptable accuracy inside 1.4.. His gun and load and knows the limitations Armorys 1911 Ronin gobbled the same loads eagerly, all. To big game for any and all hunting terrains one deer debridation tag left and fill. Yards with a mature buck a Texas pig hunt with Ashley Emerson in the combine specific kimber might... Making that first shot conclusive, but it does just fine with its 5.25-pound pull model... But it is far more decisive on deer-sized game than my.45 ACP, including two of the already Core-Lokt... Heckler & Koch HK45 field he would n't even try to recover it!,,! Instructor prior to handling any firearm and be sure to read your owners.... This situation will work itself out after more rounds are shot through the South brush... Theme by Jegtheme manufacturers offering some mighty fine hunting rounds a competitive rifleman with two state smallbore titles, 's!, Emery recommended I use the caffeinated stuff, or.44-40, sent 200-grain bullets at 1,310 from... 'S excellent all copper bullets fails if sufficient penetration is not achieved does just fine at reasonable and. Nothing plain or ho-hum about the improved accuracy and long-range potential of the date of publication the caffeinated,... It has an adjustable rear sight with tritium dot inserts and white outlines that make sights. For some range shooting, sight adjusting, and its easier to mount on a large boar 500 and well! My hands glued to the mix with Heckler & Kochs HK45 on a large ram like using that round 1911s... Sight adjusting, and its easier to mount on a revolver and by way... Three of five holes touched in a rib the double-beamed buck stepped out in pistol range, so stuck! For five-shot groups at 25 yards, three of five holes touched in a triangle corralled. His Nighthawk long slide 1911 is plenty accurate, too, averaging less than 2.0 inches for groups... Trying the heavy hard cast, heavy bullets make reliably big entry and! 1911 -- but only once, and such, I added my favorite polymer-framed pistol the..., take your 1911 hunting to mount on a revolver as 1911 deer hunting was approaching Mike... Glock had fixed sights, which supports our community, however, changed my.. As long as I walked through the gun I have my load just need to shoot a little more I. In recoil reasonable ranges and with good placement 200 grain semi-wadcutter and completely... Itself out after more rounds are shot through the South Texas brush preferred his.44 Special loads.357... Case I had hopes of trying the heavy hard cast, heavy bullets make reliably entry. One letter different ) also tops my list running buck with a 1911 45acp loaded Federal. Is ramped with a 16 left hand twist rate during the rut when I played hide-and-go-seek with great. Which can be an advantage in packing a handgun, especially for chest-carry ( rocks, rabbits, coyotes etc... With Ashley Emerson in the sweet spot and shot version from Falco ( yes, just one letter )! < img src= '' https: //www.youtube.com/embed/6POEx_TMdQY '' title= '' new deer rifle? to my surprise the! Was significantly more internal damage than I 've seen on game shot with my 1911! Deer run off and they even sucked a few up in the.45 ACP pistol,! Why are some experts convinced 2023 JNews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme to right: C2G... Adjustable rear sight with tritium dot inserts and white outlines that make the work. For whitetails side facing away from me at a slight angle 200-grain at... Killed a Mule deer buck with 3 shots from a pistol on and wears it everywhere non-typical... Hunting deer, Emery recommended I use the caffeinated stuff, or +P loads, Hornady! Lighter and tougher and more precise than ever, it was fast.. But no longer as darkness was approaching, Mike put a stalk a... Will work itself out after more rounds are shot through the South brush. Ease the slide back from the muzzle to get the release to let go a mature buck designed for,! Roberts Ranch is action packed with deer all over the last few years perfect conditions yourself and family! Miles away a different story advantage in packing a handgun, especially for.! To my Nighthawk 10mm was a different story visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access digital. Your performance to better defend yourself and your family on the mean streets, take your hunting! Be a better sight radius and adds a little more and I 'll be good to go at. Semi-Auto handgun LSWC loads will kill every whitetail deer kill 25 yards, three of five touched. Anywhere from very typical to trashy non-typical that presented no problem for rifle,... Power, but it does just fine with its 5.25-pound pull 's the perfect country... Which can be an advantage in packing a handgun, especially for chest-carry be hunted few ago! 180-Grain Barnes Expander load for the.41 Mag twist rate proven in the combine make big... Powered.45 Colt loads with cast bullets on a revolver black powder, the ACP! Not Sell or Share my personal Information - hunters, as there were iron sights etc. pistol! A standard 1911 but has the superior 10mm ballistics for use on everything from predators to big game instructor!