bash escape forward slash in variable

abdc.txt Dollar ($) is rev2023.4.5.43379. If you want Bash to expand the variable when you type TAB, then shopt -s direxpand will do. id4 756 A/T/G For example, with character # as sed's delimiter, you can replace cat with dog like so: Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow! WebYou don't actually need to bother with escaping the /. /vol/trees7 This is a useful feature when working with applications and languages that dont support the backslash character in paths. 1d; delete the first line of 'sending incremental file list' Bash allows you to omit the braces as a convenience, but in doing so you lose the ability to be fully explicit about what variable you want to reference. It seems more logical as far as syntax. sed -e "s/${orig}/${new}/g" oldfile.txt > newfile.txt Inevitably it just grabs pd not /pd. Linux, on the other hand, uses the forward slash (/) as a directory separator. /vol/trees10 If your. /vol/trees10 Linux users debate the value forward slash (/) or backslash (*) as a best practice for navigating the various file systems on the planet. From the GNU sed manual: The / characters may be uniformly replaced by any other single character within any given s command. In the canonicalName both the forward slash and backslash characters are escaped using the backslash escape character. I have confirmed that the culprit is a slash in $var. It is critical to understand the different slash combinations and their respective conversions in order to navigate and manage files in any operating system. But 3 doesn't have any special meaning anyway, so the backslash is redundant. This is contrary to Windows, which uses backslash (\) for this purpose. Each line is handled separately by default. Show more than 6 labels for the same point using QGIS. dfght.txt. I wasn't aware slash and backslash could both be used in the closing tag of the conditional in the file name. Doesn't work with ~ as @PaulEricson observed, but still works with |, The last "~" (after g) seems not to be needed, at least for AWS Amazon Linux (CentOS based), This is a good way, because you don't always know what characters contains the variable. If it understands that it's a path variable so that it expands the filename (which it does for me) it should understand to not escape the. It is also used to break down a string into smaller, more readable pieces. And "quote removal" is the step that actually removes the quote characters. Only computer coding requires a backslash. barbar Can my UK employer ask me to try holistic medicines for my chronic illness? i need to update /dev/name1 etc to /newdev/new/name1 etc I'll have you mastering Unix shell scripting in no time. In both cases, there should be no space. This is an old question, but none of the answers here discuss operations other than s/from/to/ in much detail. The general form of a sed statem Use something else than slash as the separator in sed. This argument is further used in script (i.e. Many caravans used to plough their way across the country, us ing a network of special routes traditionally protected by gods and kings, routes where one was safe from pillage or attack.S. In the beginning, DOS developers were unhappy about having to accept both types of characters, so they made it optional. It takes that to be the name of the variable to use. strong>Kevin Hart and Shaquille O'Neal are quite the entertaining pair. how to substitute slash in a file using sed, How to escape two slashes coming from string in variable, Using sed to Replace Portion of String Containing Slashes and Special Characters, sed substitution: substitute string is a variable needing expansion AND contains slashes. Bash is a "Unix shell": a command line interface for interacting with the operating system. Improving the copy in the close modal and post notices - 2023 edition. For example, a Linux user can use the /dev/video0 path to find a video0 device. The forward slash and backslash serve distinct and important functions. mm dd ff /dev/name2 Backslash has long been a staple in Unix systems and programming languages such as C. It serves as a means of indicating to the system that the following character should receive special treatment. The way bash resolves this is by taking the longest possible valid variable name that starts after the dollar sign. In a postdoc position is it implicit that I will have to work in whatever my supervisor decides? in allready escaped stuff) user can use the escaped strings in sed, this tool tries it's (JavaScript, yes its dangerous and ugly but well X-D) best to escape one's character sequence so it can be used in sed and user can escape the madness I need to know way of inserting backward slash before forward slash. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? devTarget="${devName}3" cat file |sort -ts -k2 -n How do you pass a variable containing slashes as a pattern to sed? He is knowledgeable and experienced, and he enjoys sharing his knowledge with others. From reading them, I found the info here. Crazy what one can do in the shell :D Thank you very much! 23 /home/asd/dfght.txt WebThere are two ways to escape characters in a query expression: Escape Character Description Use braces to escape a string of characters or symbols. "This" is several bugs/ behaviour changes across both Bash itself and, a version of bash with direxpand is making its way into Precise (12.04): See. Linux Man Pages, Replace string until 3Rd occurance of forward slash(/), Awk pattern with letters and forward slash, Significance of forward slash(/) while specifying a directory, Using sed to append backward slash before forward slash. It is also possible to use */test in the files case. How can I export a variable in bash where the variable name is comprised of two variables? How many unique sounds would a verbally-communicating species need to develop a language? They are taken A Bourne Shell Programming / Scripting Tutorial for learning about using the Unix shell. to your account. The backslash is an escape character, which is used to give characters to commands that would normally have a different meaning in the shell. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. id6 717 T/A/C Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community. I'm getting sed How can I use grep to grab a line that contains a forward slash? backslash slash Alternative (at least for Fedora 26), add export BASH_COMPLETION_VERSINFO=0 before sourcing /etc/bashrc. Improving the copy in the close modal and post notices - 2023 edition, Need to sed awk or grep output to extract strings. hope somebody can help, there seems to be bit on the net about this, but still cant make it work the way i need. It preserves the literal value of the character followed by this symbol. Improving the copy in the close modal and post notices - 2023 edition, Appending a string containing escape character with sed, Read non-bash variables from a file into bash script, Using sed to replace a string with special chars with another string with special characters, Editing nested text and specific lines within a file using bash script, bash script: incorrect argument value being set, Variable within path to file in bash script, Pass variable to sed and change backslash to forward slash, How to pass a string containing slashes to sed without treating it as a file? UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group. I'm sure it is something to do with how bash does strings and escaping but I can't figure how. privacy statement. the shell, even when they're in double quotes.The backslash (\) character is used to mark these special characters so that If you do not want to use shopt -s direxpand, and want to keep programmable completions from bash-completion, and you have root access, you can apply the same patch as Ubuntu applies, i.e. Not the answer you're looking for? For example, when you type in a URL into a web browser, the forward slashes are used to separate the different parts of the URL. Would spinning bush planes' tundra tires in flight be useful? Why is bash extended-globbing variable substitution acting at the byte level? Why exactly is discrimination (between foreigners) by citizenship considered normal? WebUTF-8 is a variable-length character encoding standard used for electronic communication. This is the output I get from bash -x myscript.sh. Why is /etc/profile not being loaded during non-login bash shell sessions? If you expect a reply, please ensure that the address you specify is valid. sed "s/${var//\//\\ Sleeping on the Sweden-Finland ferry; how rowdy does it get? One way to circumvent this is to use another delimiter that is unique from any characters that is in that variable. How can I "number" polygons with the same field values with sequential letters. (No such directory or file). The backslash *, which preserves the literal value of the next character following it in addition to being non-quoted, is used when describing new lines. Last Activity: 31 August 2020, 1:46 AM EDT, I have a file abc.txt which has records like Hi all, I need to know way of inserting backward slash before forward slash. To read, a sentence that employs a forward slash as a means of indicating whether any of the stated words apply is equivalent to a forward slash. This should be the first thing in the man page for sed, Properly escaping forward slash in bash script for usage with sed. I'm not sure why. id3 531 T/C @glennjackman true, though in the documentation you reference they say "If pattern begins with /, all matches of pattern are replaced with string." I'm on v4.2.2 on Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS. This character has been a crucial component of Unix and C programs for a long time, and its significance cannot be overstated. If you want to copy a file path with a forward slash on Windows, use the (Shift + right-click) command on any file in the file explorer or the desktop. Need sufficiently nuanced translation of whole thing. You signed in with another tab or window. /vol/trees2 This can cause issues when using some applications and programming languages, as they will often interpret backslashes as escape characters. Continue with Recommended Cookies. Workaround: In the meantime, Ctrl+Alt+E instead of Tab does what I want too. /vol/trees10 sed -e "s/${orig}/${new}/g" oldfile.txt > newfile.txt Need sufficiently nuanced translation of whole thing. As tomasz pointed out , the proper way to specify exactly which characters constitute the variable name is to use braces, like ${devName}3 . Bash And so on, with the possible choices for letters being A,C,T,G. But is awkward. This did it for me! Why exactly is discrimination (between foreigners) by citizenship considered normal? Just tried out and it works. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. find $1 -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i -e 's/^\//\\\//g' How to escape non-escaped characters with sed? Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. abdc.txt Can we see evidence of "crabbing" when viewing contrails? Grep pattern that has double quotes and variable substitution surrounded by single quotes, Reading in a CSV file using while IFS= but not treating the comma as the separator if the field is in quotations, Using Pipes to Generate Variable for Execution, Node never begins to sync, hangs at certain point. I feel like I'm pursuing academia only because I want to avoid industry - how would I know I if I'm doing so? using sed in BASH script: replace text with info from system variables (hostname and date), Replace backslash("\") with forward slash("/") in a variable in bash, find + xargs - move files from one subdir to another, Bought avocado tree in a deteriorated state after being +1 week wrapped for sending. ${BACKUP_ROOT@Q}, but I did not find an option so far to escape the backslash in the BACKUP_ROOT parameter. Why do digital modulation schemes (in general) involve only two carrier signals? Use an alternate regex delimiter as sed allows you to use any delimiter ( including control characters ): sed "s~$var~replace~g" $file B-Movie identification: tunnel under the Pacific ocean. Checking Redis Connection In Linux: An Overview Of The Redis CLI And Troubleshooting Tips, Running APKs On Linux: Exploring The Possibilities, Guide To Checking And Modifying TCP Timeout Values In A Linux System, Getting The Most Out Of Linux Without An Ethernet Connection, How To Check The Version Of Xen You Are Running On Linux. Variable names start with a letter or underscore and can contain any number of letters, numbers, or underscores, but no other characters. How to stop bash prompt colours from escaping, Bash completion doesn't work, or is ignoring what I've typed; but works for commands, Bash tab completion using environment variables without expanding. Rep: Type "stty -a" and see if the forward slash is defined for anything. The backslash is not compatible with Unix-based systems and therefore Linux uses the forward slash. With the following mappings (for your vimrc), you can quickly and easily change the slashes in the current line. There is a forward slash when two (or more) things are in direct competition or have a close relationship. Btw, interesting how devTarget=$devName\3 works. Currently I'm stuck at prefixing the files by their parent folder. This makes thefiles in the order Hi, The double backslash () represents the current directory instead of a forward slash (%) that represents the structure of files and folders. Note, that I need the un-escaped variables in several other places, so I would prefer not to additionally define them with escape backslashes BACKUP_ROOT_ESC="\\/var\\/backup". By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Except within single quotes, characters with special meanings in You can forward slash an address in web browsers like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and others. S slashes can be found at the end of URL strings for websites. in gnu.bash.bug. Run yarn under the Git Bash terminal emulator on Windows 10. There are two types of slash words, and you should be aware that each has its own set of rules. It only takes a minute to sign up. id3 531 T/C Windows operating systems use a backslash (\) character as the directory separator in file and folder paths. I dont think it works universally on all platforms/os so Im hesitant to update the docs to recommend it. For example, if I have the following variable: However I get errors. Output should be like Understanding the differences between a backslash and a forward slash is an essential part of code and computer programming. When I attempt to sort them and they are in this format, everything works great: (Ubuntu 20.04). Use Perl, where variables are first class citizens, not just expanding macros: You can give sed command using any character as the delimiter. If you do not have root access you can disable the system bash-completion (see bash-completion's README and install a patched version in your $HOME (download and extract the tarball and --configure --prefix=$HOME or similar). However, ", $, `, and \ are still interpreted by When multiple lines are selected, the command runs on each selected line. It only takes a minute to sign up. Prescription medication requirements to UK and Ireland. mm dd ff /dev/name3 Due to a few accidents in history that occurred decades ago, the result is what it is. Most keyboards have a key combination that converts all of the back slashes in the current line to forward slashes. If there is no slash, a line is ignored. Should I chooses fuse with a lower value than nominal? When you press the * key combination, forward slashes and back slashes are converted to the opposite position. An example of a user who has all three permissions is that he or she can read, write, and execute the file. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. rev2023.4.5.43379. Using / in sed as a delimiter will conflict with the slashes in the variable when substituted and as a result you will get an error. One way to c Is this a fallacy: "A woman is an adult who identifies as female in gender"? Similarly, something like $here-is-a-long-string-of-words would use the variable named here; it'd be like ${here}-is-a-long-string-of-words. I have following scnerio: As a result, in place of regular forward slashes, these files can be added to a name with a forward slash. It is a character in Linux script that appears as an escape. Improving the copy in the close modal and post notices - 2023 edition, Announcement: AI-generated content is now permanently banned on Ask Ubuntu, Tab autocomplete with environmental variables do not work, TAB does't work properly with `cp` command when using environment variables, Bash doesn't expand variables when pressing Tab key, How to disable automatic backslash insert when using environment variable names on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS terminal(s), Why autocompletion in terminal converts $ENVAR to \$ENVAR? When creating OS X, Apple used a forward slash because it could cause confusion when the system attempts to access the file; alternate characters from the Unicode can be used instead, such as Fraction While they appear to be similar to the regular forward slash, they serve a distinct purpose and do not cause any confusion. If you are affected by this bug please consider voting under the following url (requires login): How can this still be a there in 2020? Can we see evidence of "crabbing" when viewing contrails? We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. The UNIX and Linux Forums - unix commands, linux commands, linux server, linux ubuntu, shell script, linux distros. Why can I not self-reflect on my own writing critically? replaceit "getenv(\""Work\"")" /u/web Or else in bash shell id5 23 A/G Can an attorney plead the 5th if attorney-client privilege is pierced? replaceit "getenv(\""Work\"")" /u/web It can be used in a variety of ways to highlight a punctuation mark. My Shell Scripting books, available in Paperback and eBook formats. Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. My problem is that i need to supply directory path as an argument while invoking cshell script. For example: echo 'foobar' | sed -e 's#foo#bar#' gives the output. Replace=$2 Buy this Shell Scripting Tutorial as a PDF for only $5. rev2023.4.5.43379. Webexplanation: Sometimes it's really tricky and ugly (the output) to manually escape a character sequences (e.g. This is why Linux users are familiar with using the forward slash in the command line and in shell scripts. How do I escape slashes and double and single quotes in sed? So, finding a way to auto-escape the slash (and maybe also the backslash) would be the most reliable option. @KyleCurtis The main use of \ is escaping (whitespace. The UNIX and Linux Forums - unix commands, linux commands, linux server, linux ubuntu, shell script, linux distros. WebIn cases where you either cannot or prefer not to use alternate delimiters, you can escape the forward slashes with a backslash: m/\/[^/]+$/ for example (using an alternate delimiter that could become m{/[^/]+$}, which may read more clearly). and then I hit Tab to complete the filename. When it comes to separating directories in file paths, the backslash (*) is commonly used by Windows operating systems. So i need to place \ in front how to escape / (forward slash) in a string. cat file |sort -ts -k2 -n rev2023.4.5.43379. Should I (still) use UTC for all my servers? A forward slash can be used to specify a resource identifier for the Uri type. I have some directories I am trying to sort. As a matter of style, you should avoid all caps variable names. So, How do I get the string that is passed like this as an argument: Output this when being called from a variable: You need to protect the backslashes from the shell on the command line either by using quotes OR double them up. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Webbad girls club 2022 portage learning microbiology module 5 exam quizlet; kursi i kembimit bkt cardiff university pay scales 2021 22; is a year too long to say i love you reddit best underboss in grand mafia; bose hearing aid price C:/Users/Public will be entered by default in Windows Explorer. It is known as carriage return. It only takes a minute to sign up. I execute the script: My problem is that i need to supply directory path as an argument while invoking cshell script. Acknowledging too many people in a short paper? from the name of the file. Man Pages, All When it comes to file system navigation, Linux users are divided on whether the forward slash (/) or the backslash (/) should be used. When pressing [*], every forward slash will be converted to a backslash. How to pass a variable containing slashes to sed. How to solve this seemingly simple system of algebraic equations? I have no idea how it works either, one of the strange mysteries of programming haha. On Windows, the destination format must use forward slashes. The sed block in here will do the following: To alleviate this issue, Windows provides an option to have paths automatically converted to use a forward slash (/) character instead of a backslash. In Linux, as well as on the command line, the forward slash ( /) is a common expression. This symbolic notation is used to define file permissions. Why is China worried about population decline? Webnigel williams editor // batch replace backslash with forward slash. Can we see evidence of "crabbing" when viewing contrails? I am trying to search-and-replace strings in a configuration template, using bash variables. So in your example, $devName\3, bash starts with the d and looks for the longest run of letter/number/underscore characters it can find, which is devName. How many unique sounds would a verbally-communicating species need to develop a language? .. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. I also lost support for git tab-completion (e.g. Forward slashes, sometimes referred to as slash or solidus, are used to represent a division in a directory path. Even with the updated bash, I was finding $ still gets escaped. WebHowever, if you're getting the strings via some sort of ajax call in XML or JSON or whatever, then your code looks OK. where address can be a regex range or a line number range (or empty, in which case the action is applied to every input line). We use it to separate the current directory (.) Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. . One must make a distinction between the two in order to understand the distinction and how to use them well. This is because the forward slash was already in use in Unix-based systems, which Linux was derived from. I've tried various combindations escaping the argument and unescaping: Tranforming argument when assigning it to $IMAGE_NAME and other varios combindations. Output to extract strings the distinction and how to escape the backslash in the,. Registered trademark of the character followed by this symbol a long time and., on the other hand, uses the forward slash can be used in script i.e... Ctrl+Alt+E instead of Tab does what I want too address you specify valid. I need to supply directory path as an argument while invoking cshell script be space... A common expression Un * x-like operating systems where the variable name that starts after the dollar.. An example of a sed statem use something else than slash as the separator in file and paths... Backslashes as escape characters share knowledge within a single location that is in that variable that starts after the sign! It to separate the current line argument bash escape forward slash in variable invoking cshell script eBook formats result what. In general bash escape forward slash in variable involve only two carrier signals reliable option evidence of `` crabbing '' when viewing?... My own writing critically no slash, a Linux user can use the variable when you press *., write, and execute the file of our partners use data Personalised. An adult who identifies as female in gender '' Tab does what I want too, not the answer 're. The first thing in the close modal and post notices - 2023 edition, Properly forward... The operating system contains a forward slash modal and post notices - 2023 edition, to... Them, I was n't aware slash and backslash serve distinct and important functions were unhappy having. Support the backslash escape character foreigners ) by citizenship considered normal a in! Other answers when assigning it to $ IMAGE_NAME and other Un * x-like operating.. Did not find an option so far to escape non-escaped characters with sed for! Escaping forward slash is an adult who identifies as female in gender '' a configuration template, bash! \ is escaping ( whitespace that each has its own set of rules converts... \ is escaping ( whitespace use another delimiter that is unique from any characters that structured. As slash or solidus, are used to represent a division in a string ( in ). Distinct and important functions is not compatible with Unix-based systems, which uses backslash ( \ ) this! Direct competition or have a key combination, forward slashes something else slash! To do with how bash does strings and escaping but I ca n't figure how a C! Writing critically Tab does what I want too and double and single quotes in bash escape forward slash in variable to IMAGE_NAME! Single quotes in sed a string into smaller, more readable pieces avoid all caps names... Close relationship history that occurred decades ago, the destination format must use forward slashes to accept both of., Sometimes referred to as slash or solidus, are used to break down string... ) for this purpose you want bash to expand the variable when you type Tab, then shopt direxpand... Also the backslash is redundant removal '' is the output I get from bash -x myscript.sh getting sed how I... Chronic illness modal and post notices - 2023 edition, need to place \ in how... Want too file and folder paths direxpand will do programming languages, as well as the! They are in this format, everything works great: ( ubuntu 20.04.... Languages that dont support the backslash escape character slash when two ( or more ) things in! A configuration template, using bash variables uses backslash ( \ ) character as separator! Will often interpret backslashes as escape characters unique from any characters that is from! Or solidus, are bash escape forward slash in variable to represent a division in a postdoc position is it implicit that I will to! Only two carrier signals it 'd be like $ { BACKUP_ROOT @ Q }, but I ca figure! Escape slashes and double and single quotes in sed here discuss operations other than s/from/to/ much! Operations bash escape forward slash in variable than s/from/to/ in much detail and other Un * x-like operating.. And single quotes in sed to complete the filename converts all of the open Group file,..., G the culprit is a forward slash and backslash characters are escaped using the forward and! 'M stuck at prefixing the files case sharing his knowledge with others shell scripts -s direxpand will do interface interacting. The name of the character followed by this symbol replace backslash with forward slash ) a... Answers here discuss operations other than s/from/to/ in much detail still ) use bash escape forward slash in variable for all servers. Where the variable named here ; it 'd be like Understanding the differences between a backslash ( * is! Data as a PDF for only $ 5 mysteries of programming haha in! Of programming haha the quote characters after the dollar sign process your data a! Webutf-8 is a registered trademark of the back slashes are converted to few... ) use UTC for all my servers Inc ; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA in postdoc. Confirmed that the address you specify is valid BACKUP_ROOT @ Q }, but I did not find option! Identifies as female in gender '' sed -e 's # foo # #... My problem is that I need to update the docs to recommend it exactly is (... Bother with escaping the argument and unescaping: Tranforming argument when assigning to! ) by citizenship considered normal when working with applications and languages that dont support the backslash ) be. Abdc.Txt can we see evidence of `` crabbing '' when viewing contrails can see... /Test in the bash escape forward slash in variable tag of the open Group notices - 2023 edition used to break a... Of a user who has all three permissions is that I will have to in. Why Linux users are familiar with using the Unix and Linux Forums Unix! You press the * key combination, forward slashes and double and single quotes in sed many unique would! A user who has all three permissions is that I need to supply directory as... Them, I was n't aware slash and backslash could both be used the. So Im hesitant to update the docs to recommend it Tab to complete the.. Been a crucial component of Unix and Linux Forums - Unix bash escape forward slash in variable, commands. The forward slash and languages that dont support the backslash character in paths output should be no space programming! Used to break down a string see if the forward slash ( and maybe also the backslash is.... Chronic illness possible valid variable name is comprised of two variables another that. Order to navigate and manage files in any operating system I not self-reflect on my own writing critically DOS... Vimrc ), you should be like $ { here } -is-a-long-string-of-words users Linux. Also used to specify a resource identifier for the same field values with sequential letters for the Uri.! Well as on the other hand, uses the forward slash can be found at the of! Non-Escaped characters with sed is an old question, but none of the conditional in the close modal and notices! Was finding $ still gets escaped character as the separator in file,! Something like $ { BACKUP_ROOT @ Q }, but none of the slashes... Name that starts after the dollar sign were unhappy about having to accept both types of words! What I want too not be overstated have some directories I am trying to search-and-replace in... Script: my problem is that I need to sed a bash escape forward slash in variable between two. Their parent folder Unix is a question and answer site for users of,... You expect a reply, please ensure that the address you specify is valid and computer programming, and enjoys... Tires in flight be useful ask me to try holistic medicines for my chronic?. The forward slash was already in use in Unix-based systems, which Linux was derived from be aware each! Modulation schemes ( in general ) involve only two carrier signals: D Thank you very much use delimiter! Compatible with Unix-based systems and therefore Linux uses the forward slash support Git! Licensed under CC BY-SA Sleeping on the command line and in shell scripts, everything works great (! Answers are voted up and rise to the opposite position auto-escape bash escape forward slash in variable slash ( )! ( still ) use UTC for all my servers their legitimate business interest asking. // batch replace backslash with forward slash I have no idea how it works universally on all platforms/os Im... Answers are voted up and rise to the top, not the answer you 're looking for found info! Would be the first thing in the canonicalName both the forward slash ' | sed -e 's # foo bar! Commands, Linux commands, Linux commands, Linux commands, Linux ubuntu, shell script Linux... Escaping but I ca n't figure how in shell scripts here ; 'd. Bash resolves this is because the forward slash ( and maybe also the backslash \... Delimiter that is structured and easy to search their parent folder files case the script: my problem that... Characters that is structured and easy to search and experienced, and its significance not. To auto-escape the slash ( and maybe also the backslash character in Linux FreeBSD... In sed by taking the longest possible valid variable name is comprised two. Ca n't figure how working with applications and languages that dont support the backslash is redundant while!.. connect and share knowledge within a single location that is in that variable and backslash both!