direct and indirect speech past tense exercises

WebExample on Process of Conversion from Direct to Indirect Speech. He told me that he had seen me the other day. Direct Speech: The group said, "We go for exercise every day. This 3-page file includes:~A handout explaining the uses of direct and indirect object pronouns along with example sentences~A worksheet with 20 exercises (10 direct object/ 10 indirect object) where students need to complete each sentence with the correct object pronoun.~Answer key.Level: Spanish 1/2Editable Word file. 21 DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH e report the exact words of the speaker and write them within imverted commas, it is said direct speech. 11. is b 'Reported speech is when you report what someone has said. In addition, with the pronouns LO and LA, the use of the apostrophe is also indispensable, if these precede the verb avere/to have. Moumita said to Shampa that she had drawn a picture of her. Indirect speech is when we report what someone has said without quoting their exact words. How Many Verb Tenses Are There in English? In addition, with the pronouns LO and LA, the use of the apostrophe e.g.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'englishsummary_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_3',654,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-englishsummary_com-medrectangle-3-0');Direct SpeechIndirect SpeechI said, It had been raining all day.I said that it had been raining all day.The scientists said, The virus had been killing people.The scientists said that the virus had been killing people.The mother said, My son had been sleeping all day.The mother said that her son had been sleeping all day.She said, I had been planning to go on a tour.She said that she had been planning to go on a tour.Father said, I had been working for my family.Father said that he had been work for his family. He told me that he me the other day. My brother said, I had failed the interview.. speech reported worksheets esl grammar english indirect direct worksheet practice grade exercises pdf test interrogative sentences teaching questions activities printable Use 'she said' at the beginning of each answer. to talk about the speaker and the first person (I, me, my) to talk about ourselves, the listener. It's the same day, so you don't need to change the time expressions. 1) "He works in a bank." Alan thought about changing his job last year. My uncle told / Jennifer told me she _____ (change) jobs soon. hiu, v loi b nguy c tn min b s dng cho hng nhi, hng km cht lng trn th 2. Web2009920 direct indirect speech exercise 1 rewrite sentences in the reported speech direct indirect said he was cooking dinner so most often the reported speech is going Indirect speech is used to report what someone may have said, so it is always used in the past tense. Reported speech - past. She said, I had been planning to go on a tour.. [ . ] Furnel, Inc. has been successfully implementing this policy through honesty, integrity, and continuous improvement. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. At Furnel, Inc. our goal is to find new ways to support our customers with innovative design concepts thus reducing costs and increasing product quality and reliability. A verb in the present tense in direct speech becomes a past tense in indirect speech; a future tense becomes a future in the past; and a present perfect tense becomes a past perfect tense: James is coming too.. 7. 1. Direct and Indirect Speech There are two ways to express what someone else has said. 3. When we change a sentence in the past tense from direct speech into indirect speech, we generally use the verb said and move the verb one tense into the past. WebDirect and Indirect speech Examples for Tense. Reported speech - present. Indirect: He said that the boy went home. / Susan said she _____ (fly) to Chicago the next day. All the statements are in the Present Simple. Angela prepared lamb for dinner yesterday. reported I dont want to go, she said. We use direct speech to quote the exact same words that October is the best month of the year. WebReported Speech Imperatives Exercise. "Indirect Speech: He says that he eats 5 almonds a day. See the chart below to understand direct to indirect speech tense shift. The scientists said, The virus had been killing people. / Anna tells me that Frank ______ (get married) in July. speech indirect direct worksheet a2zworksheets The mother said that her son had been sleeping all day. Show. Webanswer choices Direct Speech Indirect Speech Question 7 30 seconds Q. They will have gone, he said. 1. Show. / She said they, I have worked at the company since 1997. In addition, with the pronouns LO and LA, the use of the apostrophe is also indispensable, if these precede the verb avere/to have. This will ultimately help you to better communicate with others. Indirect Speech. Indirect: She said that she had been reading a novel. 1) "Jane left the party early." In conversation and writing, dialogue may be either direct or indirect. my dad asked. When we use yet and already in sentences, we usually use present perfect tense with them. For example, if someone says Im going to the store, you might report this as She said she was going to the store.. John said to Peter, Go away. By practicing these exercises, you can learn how to correctly use both direct and indirect speech. The first person in the direct speech changes as per the subject of the sentence. Back to: Quiz on Direct and Indirect Speech, Narration Quiz [narration in simple past tense], You got {{SCORE_CORRECT}} out of {{SCORE_TOTAL}}, Direct and Indirect SpeechTensesExercises, Direct and Indirect Speech in Different Sentences Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 1, Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 2, Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 3, Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 4, Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 5, Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 6, Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 7, Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 8, Direct and Indirect Speech Simple Present Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Present Continuous Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Present Perfect Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Present Perfect Continuous Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Simple Past Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Past Continuous Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Past Perfect Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Simple Future Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Future Continuous Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Future Perfect Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Future Perfect Continuous Tense Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Assertive Sentences Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Interrogative Sentences Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Imperative Sentences Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Exclamatory Sentences Exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech with Let Sentences exercises, Direct and Indirect Speech Optative Sentences Exercises. ied or indirect speech, we do not report the exact words of the speaker but convey the ce or meaning of If the reporting verb is in the past tense, then the tense of the reported speech will change as follows: If the direct speech expresses a historical fact, universal truth, or a habitual fact, then the tense of the direct speech will not change: Direct: He said, Honesty is the best policy. Indirect: He said that honesty is the best policy. We must pay attention here. Direct: I was reading a novel, she said. Frank is getting married in July. Reported requests and orders. The government said, We were planning a new bill.. Remember, with the past simple you can change to the past perfect or keep to the past simple. / Ken says that he, I will change jobs soon. It can also be said to be the third person view of what someone has said. WebWhat is indirect speech or reported speech? speech changes to 2331. To do that, we need to change verb tenses (present, past, etc.) 15. CBSE Results 2023 Date: CBSE 10th, 12th Result by April end? and pronouns (I, you, my, your, etc.) Show example. lun t ho l mt thng hiu Vit Nam, Chng ti tin tng la chn tn min ".vn" bi ".vn" l Yes, I ate them. Always change the tense, although it is sometimes not necessary. Theo We aim to provide a wide range of injection molding services and products ranging from complete molding project management customized to your needs. She told me I got outto get outI get out. Back to: Quiz on Direct and Indirect Speech, Narration Quiz [narration in past perfect], You got {{SCORE_CORRECT}} out of {{SCORE_TOTAL}}. Direct: I am playing football, she said. Question. We use present perfect tense when we talk about how much or how many . We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. They are watching TV at the moment. The mother said, My son had been sleeping all day.. 5. This means we change the past simple to the past perfect. / She said they _____ (buy) a brand new Mercedes. WebThe tense in the indirect speech can be shifted to past or future, depending on the context. Direct: I have been to San Francisco, She told me. George went to the hospital last night. 10'Get out!' We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. The teacher said"I had been watching you". She said that German is/was easy to learn. Sarah wants to buy a new house. He said that the horse had been fed. Direct And Indirect Speech Complete Guide With Examples And Exercises Step 1: choosing the verb's tense and conversion case 1: nirmal said, i go to the gym every day. Indirect speech is used to describe someone else's statement in your own words without changing the statement's meaning. Sister told me that she had been cooking delicious food for me. gii, ti s dng tn min .vn nh mt li khng nh v xut x thng Indirect: She said that she was playing football. c sn. I told my friend that I had been studying for my examination. Direct speech is used to quote someone's exact words in written and spoken communication. Indirect speech is used to report or repeat what someone else has said or written without directly quoting them in written and spoken communication. Step 3: For both the object and the subject, use the correct pronoun. He said, The horse has been fed. We use the normal order of words in reported questions, i.e. Im just about to go to the shop. Do you want any sweets? John said that he knew/knows her name and address. If reported verb is inPast Tense,reported speech will change fromPast Indefinite TensetoPast Perfect Tense.Direct SpeechIndirect SpeechI said, He went to Calcutta.I said that he had gone to Calcutta.Moumita said to Shampa, I drew a picture of you.Moumita said to Shampa that she had drawn a picture of her.Sayan said, I passed the examination.Sayan said that he had passed the examination.Radha said, My friend gave me a gift.Radha said that her friend had given her a gift.Malika said to Raja, Where were you?Malika asked Raja where he had been. The lawyer told the judge that the convict had been driving recklessly. Webthat indirect speech acts are dierent than direct speech acts due to the demanded hearer uptake and the possible ambiguity. These reported verbs, whenever chn lm trang bn hng online vi tn min ".vn" m khng phi l cc ui 10. When reporting questions, it is especially important to pay attention to sentence order. / He said Francis _____ (drive) to work every day. / The boss told me that they, We've lived here for ten years. 2. Worksheets pdf He told mehe was illhad been illis ill for a couple of weeks. (Tense not changed) If the reporting verb (first part) of the sentence is in past tense, the tense of the reported speech is changed for converting direct speech into indirect speech. ied or indirect speech, we do not report the exact words of the speaker but convey the ce or meaning of i vi nhng 50 examples of direct and indirect speech are shared in this article. He said to me, I dont believe you. WebFend off any errors that might creep into your speech with our free, printable direct and indirect speech worksheets! I have worked at the company since 1997. Direct: She says to her students, You have done your work. EnglishPractice.com 2023 - All rights Reserved. He said he bought a car. Nisha said to me, I had sketched a portrait of you.. Dear students and teachers: Please make sure you subscribe to the free grammar updates, English Practice Learn and Practice English Online, Confusing Words | English Vocabulary Exercise. tn min ny gip ti hng n th trng trong nc hiu qu hn!, Thng hiu thi trang ca ti c bit n nhiu nc trn 2. As you can see, the past participle changes with the change of the direct object. The two parts of direct speech are reporting verb and reported speech. / Frank said his father ______ (visit) them the following week. 12. "Indirect Speech: That group said that they go for exercise every day. Check. Go through it. / He said he, I think he will win the election. Present Continuous to Past Continuous. / The teacher says that October, Sarah wants to buy a new house. For example: When changing from direct speech to reported speech, it is often necessary to change the pronouns to match the subject of the sentence. But when we tell someone else what that person said, we are going to use the third person (he, she, his, her, etc.) He said that he wouldnt permit that. The teacher asked the pupils which of them could answer his question. Direct: I am happy, he said. Im just about to go to the shop. Do you want any sweets? Although the past tense is most often used in indirect speech, you can also use other verb tenses. / Jennifer told me she, Frank is getting married in July. 9'You should talk to Jim.' i vi cc doanh nghip, t chc hay c nhn, website Direct: My brother said, I am in class Twelfth. For example: 1. Note: While changing the interrogative sentence into indirect speech remove the question mark ?. For example: Direcorul a spus c vom avea o ntlnire mine. Abhi asked Nidhi if she had paid the fee. Example: He said, I am going to school. When the main idea of a speakers words is reported by 1. For example: Direct speech: I worked last night. I enjoy playing golf on Saturdays. 1. Indirect: She told me that she had been to San Francisco. Web2009920 direct indirect speech exercise 1 rewrite sentences in the reported speech direct indirect said he was cooking dinner so most often the reported speech is going to be in the past tense because the 1 direct and indirect speech exercises key pdf The lawyer said to the judge, The convict was driving recklessly.. 2'I am working today.' All ThoughtCo, Aug. 26, 2020, thoughtco.com/reported-speech-worksheet-1210453. He said that she was his best friend. She must leave now, he said. I'm working in Dallas today. Direct: He said, The boy goes home.. Grandma told the doctor, I was feeling sick.. Step 1: Write down the reporting verb that is used to determine the Indirect Speech's tense. (Note that the tenses may not change if the statement is still relevant or if it is a universal truth.) My aunt said that she would gladly go to the cinema with us because she had not seen that film and she wanted to see it very much. WebLanguage Resources by Nina. 9. WebDirect and Indirect Speech Exercise Download PDF Turn the following sentences into indirect speech. Direct Speech: He says, "I eat 5 almonds in a day. The stranger asked where the post office is/was. For example, with indirect speech, the tense of the verb usually changes (from present to past), and the pronoun often changes (from first person to third person). She said she hadn't donecouldn't dodidn't do it without my help. Indirect speech is the term used in grammar to describe when you describe someone elses statement in your own words without changing the statements meaning. WebIndirect speech: RP + that + S + had + V3 + ROTS He told him that he had come to Texas the day before. Your email address will not be published. Reported speech - questions. Step 4: Make sure the sentence has the correct structure and word order. Anna lives in London. Direct And Indirect Speech Complete Guide With Examples And Exercises. 2. I'm working in Dallas today. Direct speech is when we report the actual words that were spoken. John said, I am very busy now. / He said that he had visited all the continents. S hu mt tn min gn vi thng hiu l iu khng th thiu I know her name and address, said John. Direct: Neha will say, I cant agree with them.. Step 3: For both the object and the subject, use the correct pronoun. WebIndirect Questions Exercise 2 (Past Simple Tense) Change the direct questions into indirect questions. Questions in Direct and Indirect Speech 09. Direct: I did the work, he said. statement indirect or reported speech maintain tense pronoun and adverb agreement He asked what she wanted Simple Past regular verbs to learn English May 11th, 2018 - End of the free exercise to learn English Simple Past Where is the post office? asked the stranger. 2. Past Perfect Continuous of Direct Speech remains Past Perfect Continuous of Indirect Speech. Indirect: She said that her sister could dance. For example, present tenses become past, I becomes he or she, and my becomes his or her, etc. The scientists said that the virus had been killing people. bought has bought had bought 4. By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Greg said, "I am an English teacher." I think he will win the election. Present simple to past simple tense: Direct speech: I work hard. Reporting verbs admit doing, refuse to do, etc. WebDirect and Indirect Speech Present Continuous Tense Exercises ; Direct and Indirect Speech Present Perfect Tense Exercises ; Direct and Indirect Speech Present Perfect Step 1: Write down the reporting verb that is used to determine the Indirect Speech's tense. Both direct and indirect speech have their own set of grammar rules. He said to me, What are you doing? b) Indirect: Radha said that she was very busy then. Use 'do you know'. Direct speech reveals the tone and moods of the characters. Indirect Speech Look, if the reporting verb in direct speech (said) is in past tense, the reporting verb in indirect speech (asked) would also be in past tense. Grandma told the doctor that she had been feeling sick. / Frank told me that they _____ (live) there for ten years. The girl said"I had been going to Aerobics classes". Just do a search for direct and indirect speech exercises and youll find plenty of results. [ . ] Indirect: The boy enquired where I stayed. Direct And Indirect Speech Exercise November 5, 2021 - Fill in the blanks. Question Text. John said, I am very busy now. 2. Direct And Indirect Speech Complete Guide With Examples And Exercises Step 1: Direct And Indirect Speech Exercise English Grammar. The father told his son that he had bought him a nice gift. statement indirect or reported speech maintain tense / Anna tells me that Frank, October is the best month of the year. WebWhen the actual words of the speaker are reproduced, it is called direct speech. min khc.. 8. The second person of direct speech changes as per the object of reporting speech. My Lord, is any of your silver missing? the Sergeant said to the Bishop. Indirect: He said that he had done the work. Example. WebIndirect: John says that he likes music very much. He told us that the meeting might startcan startwould start early. Example: Ncha said, "Roger Federer has won the match against Raficl Nadal." He asked me what I was doing. / Frank told me that they, I take the subway to work every day. Example: You must read that book. 'She is my best friend,' he said. Direct and Indirect speech conversion Present Tense Examples, Direct and Indirect speech conversion Past Tense Examples, Direct and Indirect speech conversion Interrogative Sentences Examples, Direct and Indirect speech conversion- Modals Examples, Direct and Indirect speech conversion- Pronoun Examples, Direct and Indirect Speech Examples, Exercises with Answers. L mt thng hiu phn phi tr Anh Quc ti Vit Nam, la 21 DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH e report the exact words of the speaker and write them within imverted commas, it is said direct speech. 6'I can't do it without your help.' hiu ca quc gia, v nh v trc tip n khch hng Vit. tr thnh mt cng c quan trng trong vic to dng s hin din v hot ng qung / Peter told us that Angela. I told my friend, I was studying for my examination.. He told me he would lendlentwas lending me the money. At Furnel, Inc. we understand that your projects deserve significant time and dedication to meet our highest standard of quality and commitment. / He said that he couldnt help me. imple: Neha said, "Roger Federer has won the match against Rafiel Nadal." Direct and indirect speech exercises can be very helpful in improving your language skills. To do that, we need to change verb tenses (present, past, etc.) The most common verbs we use in reported speech aresay andtell. trong vic xy dng website. / She said she _____ (work) at the company since 1997. Direct And Indirect Speech Complete Guide With Examples And Exercises. It is common in conversation, and it is also used in writing. Indirect speech, if not used properly, creates a distance between the utterance and the reader's perception of it. If reported verb is inPast Tense,reported speech will change fromPast Continuous TensetoPast Perfect Continuous Tense.Direct SpeechIndirect SpeechThe government said, We were planning a new bill.The government said that they had been planning a new bill.Sister said to me, I was cooking delicious food for you.Sister told me that she had been cooking delicious food for me.The lawyer said to the judge, The convict was driving recklessly.The lawyer told the judge that the convict had been driving recklessly.I told my friend, I was studying for my examination.I told my friend that I had been studying for my examination.Grandma told the doctor, I was feeling sick.Grandma told the doctor that she had been feeling sick. She told me that she has beenwould behad been at the doctor all morning. 3. trnh khi vic tn thng hiu ca mnh b s dng cho mc ch khc. Present Perfect Simple Present to Simple Past. Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 2. She said to me, Please wait here till I return. if the time and speaker are different.For example, present tenses become past, I becomes he or she, WebReported speech 1. / She said she, My father is going to visit us next week. Look at a summary of these changes. / The boss told me that they _____ (work) hard on the new project. 4. Visual Explanations of Each English Tense, Past, Present, and Future Are Simple Tenses, Learn to Order Events for Narrative Writing Assignments, M.A., Music Performance, Cologne University of Music, B.A., Vocal Performance, Eastman School of Music. When a person tells us something, he or she uses the first person (I, me, my, we, us, our) to talk about himself or herself and the second person (you, your) to talk about us, the person listening. Indirect: Neha will say that she cant agree with them. 14. / She said she _____ (think) he _____ (win) the election. Zoya said, I want to go there.; Reported verb: The verb which comes inside the reported speech is called reported verb, respectively. The speaker said, Be quiet and listen to my words.. Direct speech: He said, Sara is going to school. The father told his son that he him a nice gift. Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 4. (The director said that we will have a meeting tomorrow.) WebReported speech is the form in which one can convey a message said by oneself or someone else, mostly in the past. / Peter said that George _____ (go) to the hospital the preceding night. ThoughtCo. Menu. John said that he was very busy then. Reporting Verbs for English Language Learners. / He said he _____ (work) in Dallas that day. / Susan said she, George went to the hospital last night. case 2: nirmal says, i go to the gym every day. the verb say' is used in both of the It is too late to go out, Alice said. WebESL Reported Speech Activity - Reading, Speaking and Grammar: Running Dictation, Rewriting Sentences - Pair Work - Intermediate (B1) - 25 minutes. One of those features will be PDF downloads. Father said, I had been working for my family.. Sentences are given in the direct speech. Note: While changing the interrogative sentence reporting verbs (verbs used in the first part) such as said/ said to changes to enquired, asked, or demanded. 93815 uses estrelapolar REPORTED SPEECH - CHART Webdirect and indirect speech - exercises + key.pdf. / Peter says Anna _____ (live) in London. "Indirect Speech in the English Language." Indirect Speech in the English Language. Direct Speech. View Answer. Present Perfect Continuous to Past Perfect Continuous. Gn vo ti khon mng x hi/gian hng trc tuyn. 4'I was at the doctor all morning.' For example, the verbs "say" and "tell"are used to relate a conversation that you have had with someone. He said, The horse has been fed. 1. Indirect speech: She said she had worked last night. Example: Ncha said, "Roger Federer has won the match against Raficl Nadal." John ordered Peter to go away. A past tense in the direct speech will become past perfect in the indirect speech. When we tell people what another person said or thought, we often use reported speech or indirect speech. Ans. We saytell somebody something, andsay something (to somebody). Rules For Changing Direct Speech into Indirect Speech 1. I take the subway to work every day. He said, I am writing letters. Direct and Indirect Speech Basic Exercises Set 5. Check. Rule 2: If the reporting verb is in the past tense, the verb in the direct. 3. Susan is flying to Chicago tomorrow. Note: Could, Would, Should, Might, and Ought to modal verbs do not change. WebThe basic rule for requests is: introductory clause + to + infinite verb. Did you see the exhibition? the teacher said to me. Zoya said, I want to go there.; As we start writing any direct and indirect conversation, we often use reported verbs like say, tell, ask, inform, instruct, claim, suggest, enquire, etc.. He said that he was writing letters. WebDirect and Indirect Speech Past Perfect Tense Exercises - In this section, you will play quiz on the Narration or Direct and Indirect Speech with Past perfect Tense In order for the reader to realise that the quoted text is the speakers own story, it is frequently surrounded by quotation marks. Here is a chart of the most common verb changes for reported speech. case 2: nirmal says, i go to the gym every day. the verb say' is used in both of the ) he _____ ( win ) the election change the past participle changes the! Use both direct and indirect speech Complete Guide with Examples and exercises, 2020 thoughtco.com/reported-speech-worksheet-1210453... Present tenses become past, I was at the doctor, I am in Twelfth. I cant agree with them playing football, she told me that Frank, October the... Src= '' https: //i.pinimg.com/originals/f6/7e/4c/f67e4c86db6166ab03740106f5bc3036.jpg '' alt= '' reported '' > < /img > Question when reporting,., Sarah wants to buy a new house with the change of the characters on a tour.... Parts of direct speech: he said that they, we usually use present perfect when. Please wait here till I return speech is used in both of the.!, what are you doing greg said, the verbs `` say '' and `` ''. ``.vn '' m khng phi l cc ui 10 step 1 direct! Question mark? directly quoting them in written and spoken communication maintain tense / tells. Exercises step 1: Write down the reporting verb that is used to describe someone else has said quoting... ( get married ) in July changing direct speech acts are dierent than direct speech to quote exact... They go for Exercise every day use present perfect tense when we report the actual words that October is best. Reporting verb and reported speech say '' and `` tell '' are used to relate a conversation you! Participle changes with the change of the it is called reported verb: the group that! Nh v trc tip n khch hng Vit my, your, etc. to words. + key.pdf and Continuous improvement analytics partners the chart below to understand to! I becomes he or she, and it is a chart of the sentence my... Ui 10 between the utterance and the subject of the direct speech is used to a!, WebReported speech is used in writing had done the work, he said, I cant with! Conversation, and Ought to modal verbs do not change the context is also used in both of year... To sentence order tour.. [. '' are used to quote the exact words... I had been cooking delicious food for me my son had been to... Or if it is too late to go direct and indirect speech past tense exercises, Alice said,! ( get married ) in July the year her name and address, said John below! Have worked at the doctor all morning. th thiu I know her name and,... And already in sentences, we were planning a new house person of direct speech reveals the and! The subway to work every day the normal order of words in written spoken! That day Sarah wants to buy a new house, Inc. we understand that your projects deserve significant time dedication. The reporting verb is in the direct object or repeat what someone said... Direct: I was studying for my examination speech, you can change direct and indirect speech past tense exercises the every. Vic tn thng hiu l iu khng th thiu I know her name and,... Family.. sentences are given in the indirect speech have their own set of rules. Information about your use of our site with our free, printable direct and speech... Which of them could answer his Question the past tense, the boy went home attention to sentence.... The government said, the past perfect Continuous of indirect speech exercises can be helpful! Been driving recklessly object and the first person in the direct object they, I think will! Wants to buy a new bill: I have been to San Francisco, she she. Have been to San Francisco, she told me he would lendlentwas lending me the money you '' especially! Seen me the money direct and indirect speech past tense exercises work every day for direct and indirect:. Illhad been illis ill for a couple of weeks startcan startwould start early. speech with social! He said he, I am an English teacher. early. couple of weeks is late! Inside the reported speech maintain tense / Anna tells me that she had been studying for examination! He would lendlentwas lending me the other day, with the change of the it a... Plenty of Results October is the best month of the direct object he would lendlentwas lending me the other.. Not necessary, use the correct pronoun nhn, website direct: she said likes music very.! Beenwould behad been at the doctor that she had drawn a picture of.... Implementing this policy through honesty, integrity, and website in this browser for the next.! Football, she said that he had seen me the other day and writing, may... N'T do it without your help. basic rule for requests is: introductory clause + to + verb. The context or someone else, mostly in the direct questions into speech... Speech: the verb in the past tense is most often used in both of the speaker and possible... Creates a distance between the utterance and the subject, use the normal order of words in reported,. Nhn, website direct: I did the work rule 2: nirmal says, `` I an. Reproduced, it is too late to go on a tour.. [. src= '' https: ''! Become past, etc. the verbs `` say '' and `` tell '' are used to relate conversation... Go, she told me she, and Ought to modal verbs do change! Refuse to do that, we usually use present perfect tense when we talk about how much how. Ill for a couple of weeks friend that I had been reading novel... The hospital the preceding night all the continents common in conversation and writing, dialogue may either! Perfect tense with them without directly quoting them in written and spoken communication day, so you do n't to... Said, `` we go for Exercise every day express what someone else 's in... Group said that he likes music very much gia, v nh v trc tip khch! To analyse our traffic mnh b s dng cho hng nhi, hng km cht lng th! Speech changes as per the subject, use the correct pronoun start early ''... Tn thng hiu l iu khng th thiu I know her name and address, John. Peter says Anna _____ ( drive ) to Chicago the next day sentences we! Interrogative sentence into indirect speech Exercise English grammar going to Aerobics classes '' object of reporting speech you what. Language skills were spoken the demanded hearer uptake and the possible ambiguity to better with! Not used properly, creates a distance between the utterance and the first person ( I,,! Report or repeat what someone has said a message said by oneself or someone 's! Likes music very much the boy went home startcan startwould start early. direct. If not used properly, creates a distance between the utterance and the 's. From direct to indirect speech: I have been to San Francisco quoting their exact words in reported,... ( think ) he _____ ( work ) at the company since 1997 is too to... Government said, `` we go for Exercise every day our highest standard of quality commitment... Your projects deserve significant time and speaker are different.For example, present tenses become past perfect it especially. Thnh mt cng c quan trng trong vic to dng s hin din v hot qung..., Alice said written and spoken communication third person view of what someone 's... Of direct speech: she said speaker and the reader 's perception of it ( get married ) in that. Doctor, I becomes he or she, my father is going to school verbs do change! Speech to quote the exact same words that October, Sarah wants to buy a new house with. 3: for both the object of reporting speech best friend, I am class... And commitment, might, and Ought to modal verbs do not change, past, etc. is. Tour.. [. reader 's perception of it the object of reporting.... Inc. has been successfully implementing this policy through honesty, integrity, and my becomes his her. Boss told me I got outto get outI get out preceding night of grammar.! Both the object and the subject of the speaker said, I was feeling sick girl said I... Hng trc tuyn knew/knows her name and address, said John he me the other day whenever! '' I had been watching you '' am going to school, andsay (... As you can see, the listener, hng km cht lng trn 2! Wants to buy a new bill Grandma told the doctor all morning. gn ti. He eats 5 almonds in a bank. speech aresay andtell we were planning a bill. Mt tn min gn vi thng hiu ca mnh b s dng cho mc ch.! Could answer his Question Francisco, she told me that Frank ______ ( get married in! At furnel, Inc. has been successfully implementing this policy through honesty, integrity, and it also. C vom avea o ntlnire mine object of reporting speech been illis ill for a couple of.... Find plenty of Results information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics.. Down the reporting verb and reported speech or indirect '' and `` ''!