lopez's or lopez' grammar

The book introduces key notions in minimalism and distributed morphology, making them accessible to readers with different scholarly foci. Jan 2014. Mercovics would be the correct plural according to the rules, but again is not likely to help with proper pronunciation by people who dont already know how your name is pronounced. lpez joaqun martyrs ignacio salvador el mission lopez born 1918 resume august luc edu Here are some examples of how to treat four family names. Is there another way to do it? First determine whether the surname is intended to be a simple plural, a singular possessive, or a plural possessive. Note the spelling of the plural possessive of Jones, as per the last rule above. We did not advise her to write the Joneses family, but we did reply that a personalized item could be painted with the Joneses, for multiple people with the last name Jones. We would lean toward writing Marcuss since thats how we would say it, but Marcus is also acceptable. We assume your intended meaning is The Kurzes home (house) est. This book is of interest to those working in linguistics and psycholinguistics, especially bilingualism, code-switching, and the lexicon. Family names ending in s become plural by adding es on the end, after the s. Therefore, the members of the Jones family are the Joneses. As Jarris Wilkins, I have dealt with these grammatical matters for all of my life. Then the plural is formed by adding -es. Example: The Lopezes' house is number twenty. As the post states, To show singular possession of a name ending in s or z, some writers add just an apostrophe. Classically, it is not correct to just add an apostrophe to a last name that already ends in s if it is singular possessive. If only I could be like Juan Lopez when I grow up! As the post states, To show plural possession of a name ending in s, ch, or z, form the plural first; then immediately use the apostrophe.. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Sign up to receive the FREE weekly GrammarBook.com E-Newsletter. Ask the most educated member of the Skeoch family what he or she suggests. Heres my sentence regarding how to show possession on the name ending in z. WebApostrophes - Lopez Grammar 1. The Lopezes' dog has been found. Read more. I am engaged and soon to be married, and I was wanting to purchase a family garden flag for our home but not sure how it should be personalized in the correct form. Also, you mention that the sign is for a family; therefore, the name will be plural since more than one person lives in the home. To show plural possession for the last name Marshall, form the plural by adding an s followed by an apostrophe. Show abstract. Rule: To show the plural of a name that ends with a ch, s, or z sound, add es. Yes, the apostrophes indicate singular possession. lopez physiology To show plural possession, make the proper noun plural first, then use the apostrophe. I cant figure out the punctuation. We would lean toward writing Weisss and Denniss since thats how we would say it, but your method is fine, too. I have not found any reference to pluralize a silent s. Thank you for your help! Roberta asked him for a raise, and Mr. Lopez agreed. You can write either Chris or Chriss, Rus or Russ. We are reminded that, in Bill Clintons autobiography My Life, he mentions his friend whose last name is Thomases (not Thomas). Or is it The Matoss Pool or even The Matoses pool? There is no right answer; the best advice is to choose a formula and stay consistent. As we replied to Manuela, the plural possessive is Rodriguezes. The plural of Simms is Simmses. I would say The Winters Family but we have no children & I dont want our families & friends to get the wrong idea (trust me, they would). The Andruses implies the Andruses house.. This sort of spelling-pronunciation combination does not fall neatly into any hard-and-fast rules. She asked how to punctuate the last name Jones as an alternative to writing the Jones family. In other words, she was asking about the spelling of the plural and whether or not an apostrophe was necessary. There are conflicting rules about how to show possession when writing names that end in s. Some writers and editors add only an apostrophe to all nouns ending in s. And some add s to every proper noun. Should the plate read The Spanoviches? lopez lpez oficial conditional lopez jennifer song songs if worksheets 2nd had grammar english Supposing there was an annual General Survey of Software Systems, abbreviated GSSS. 4. proper noun. As the post states, To show plural possession of a name ending in s, ch, or z, form the plural first; then immediately use the apostrophe. Therefore, Christmas at the Crosses is correct. One moose, two moose. Another option is two plaques. I know Lopez speaks broken Spanish (they just use tools like Google Translate to write his dialogue), but it's probably not to such an extent that it'd be total gibberish to Spanish-speaking audiences. The plural form of the proper noun Lopez is Lopezes. 2013-12 I am trying to make a personalized plaque for the holidays. I know Lopez speaks broken Spanish (they just use tools like Google Translate to write his dialogue), but it's probably not to such an extent that it'd be total gibberish to Spanish-speaking audiences. You may need to be creative and perhaps a bit tolerant, e.g., The Mercovic family invites you , Sarah and Bob Mercovic invite you , etc. To show plural possession for the last name Marshall, form the plural by adding an s followed by an apostrophe. We would lean toward writing Gonzalezs since that is how we would say it. The possessive of the name Jesu would be Jesus, pronounced with two syllables. Which is correct? If you dont know the family, follow your own instincts, because this is a wash. Rule: To show singular possession of a name ending inch,addson the end of the name. Sample: Philippine Airlines instead of Philippines Airline or Philippine Constitution instead of Philippines Constitution or Philippine National Police and so on and so forth. Example: The Lopezes' house is number twenty. Is this correct? I have decided to follow their practice, although it is not used by most writers. Select the option that demonstrates the correct and best use of a pronoun. Is it Youre invited to Bazizs birthday party? Karsiess Classroom but have always been hesitant to do that based on the fear that OTHERS would think that Im writing it incorrectly. Some writers prefer to use the word Swartz as an adjective and omit the apostrophe; therefore, The Swartz family home is also acceptable. So what is correct? Please see our post Using Apostrophes with Last Names Ending in s, ch, or z, which provides more discussion and helpful examples. When using a post card, sign, etc. Thank you very much. The simple plural form is the Parzes. If you mean this is the Parzes home (ornament, mailbox), it is a plural possessive and requires an apostrophe. [Note the rule still applies, despite the irregular plural in this case. Choose the correct proper noun in each sentence below. WebMr. What about with a name that ends in two sses, e.g. My son cant seem to get enough of Sandi Finches/Finches/Finchs fried chicken. WebBritish Dictionary definitions for Lopez Lopez / ( lpz) / noun Jennifer. 3. proper noun. For one person, write Parsonss or Parsons. The possessives would be Dumases and DeMaraises (see our Rule 2d of Apostrophes). WebBy convention, names from classical mythology and the Bible ending in s show possession with the apostrophe only (Jesus teachings). The morphosyntax of wh-questions: evidence from Spanish-English codeswitching. Therefore, the Mudriches is correct as a simple plural. For the last few years he has focused on the study of code-switching and bilingual linguistic structure more generally. If I made a plaque would I use for a last name Leritz Leritzes or Leritzs or something else? Delivered to your inbox! To show singular possession of a name ending in s (such as Jones) some writers and editors add an apostrophe only (Jones car) and some add an apostrophe plus another s (Joness car). Hess hide a way, Is this correct way of spelling Hess, read allot of conflicting reports. If Im writing Mr. Jan 2014. 2013-12 Regarding collective property, the rule above says, To show plural possession of a name ending in s, ch, or z, form the plural first; then immediately use the apostrophe. Therefore, write the McGuinnesses car. Therefore, even though it may seem cumbersome, The McCraryses Signature Drinks is correct if the last name is McCrarys. Im making some art work for a friends daughter whose name is Paris. Yes, the plural possessive should have an apostrophe. Is Joness pronounced Joneses? WebLopez Plural, What is the Plural of Lopez? proper noun. Now that I look at an earlier response it looks like Silas or Silass are acceptable. Since it appears that your sign will either end with a word such as home or with such a word understood, then we know that it is a possessive. My question is where Martinez should reflect Martinez or Martinezs? Play Slow . A house belonging to the Peterson family: the Petersons house (the noun forming the possessive is Petersons, so add ). First, should I use the possessive form, as in The Buckleses (home) or the plural of us as a couple, as in (we are) The Buckleses? What is the correct grammar for a wedding?Would it be The Rodriguezes or the The Rodriguezs? Read more. Guest +0 I think it would be Lopez's, but I wonder whether anyone would argue if you made it Lopez' ? For example, a company called Industrious. Additionally, how would I indicate possession when the word itself is an adjective that has become a proper noun? I prefer the former but have come across both. Very often I hear narrators pronounce it as Jesus-ez for Jesus but that always sounded a bit redundant to me. Surname: Brown Jones Smith Lopez Plural: Browns Joneses Smiths Lopezes Singular possessive: Browns Joness Smiths Lopezs To show possession using an apostrophe, add s for individuals (Smiths car) and just the apostrophe after the s for plurals (the Smiths car, the Martinezes dog). Here are some examples of how to treat four family names. The double s makes it awkward, I think. Simply say of Heraclitus? The plural form of the proper noun Lopez is Lopezes. Its one of those riddles that is caught in my brain! Consequently, the orthography ss can never occur in English, under any circumstance whatsoever. Jones Sugaring Jones Sugaring Jones Sugaring. I really want to order a sign for my classroom that says, Mrs. However, it is not a complete sentence. We cannot comment further without a specific example sentence. We would pronounce all of the esses in both names, whether as plurals or possessives. Help please. born 1970, Puerto Rican singer and film actress, known as J-Lo; her films include Out of Site (1997) and The Wedding Planner (2001) and her records include On the 6 Im going to marry Ms. Straus/Strauses/Strauss daughter. You could also write The Fieldses on the flag to correctly convey that the Fields family lives there. Im trying to get a personalized picture of our new house. I am doing a Christmas sign for a friend whose surname is Cross. The Fields or The Fields. If I want to show possession with his name, would the correct spelling be Silas, as in Silas turn, or Silas bike, etc? A simple plural does not require an apostrophe. Thank you. WebTo form the possessive of a proper noun ending in an s or z sound, some people use apostrophe + s, as in Perezs and Burns's, and others prefer an apostrophe alone, as in Perez and Burns's. In English, the plural of Latiolais would be Latiolaises. Straus and Strauss would be pronounced as strauses (or strausez). WebMr. the Birches house You are correct that Mercovices solves nothing because people would likely pronounce that to rhyme with vises. The sign now says The Rodriguezs but after reading this post, I think it may be wrong. Is the apostrophe correct? Do I put The Humphreyss or The Humphreyes? They typically get formed by adding -s. Except, that is, if the name already ends in s or z. Most diseases are not capitalized, except for the presence of a proper noun. What about if you are talking about two guys named Chris? Well, you gave reply to the Mackintosh question. The solution is not truly strange. If the name is only one syllable, add -'s. Should it be Bedis or Bedis, The plural of Bedi is Bedis. I would like it to say The Colliers do I need an apostrophe S (The Colliers) or is The Colliers the correct way to personalize? The doormat says The Furnesss..est 2002, meaning the Furnesss house established in 2002. Is the family unit singular possession of the house, or should it be the Furnesses or Furness? I put on our Christmas cards The Adkinss. PhD dissertation, UIC. To me, it would seem to be an exception because making it Haselbaches, as the rule requires, would change the pronunciation. My fiances family name, Latiolais, is French and is pronounced Latch-o-lay. Im going to marry Ms. Strauss daughter. A simple plural does not use an apostrophe. The logic is that all names should be treated the same. Wiki User. The Simmss? Would it appear The Simms'? WebBritish Dictionary definitions for Lopez Lopez / ( lpz) / noun Jennifer. Now I know. (last name) a. Lopez. My understanding is that if a name ends in a hard s sound, as Jesus, an apostrophe at the end is sufficient. Rule 1: To form the possessive of a singular noun that does not end in s or an s sound, add an apostrophe plus s to the noun: Examples: the doctors orders, the writers desk, Tammys car, my sisters children, her father-in-laws house IMiyjan Mytae. Therefore, Christmas at the Crosses is correct. Since the plaque implies Christmas at the Hendersons home, you are correct that there should be an apostrophe. Other times I painted The Jones Family to get around it! A toy belonging to one child: the childs toy (the noun forming the possessive is child so add s). I am ordering a stamp as a housewarming gift with last name Goetz including their new home address to be used for their outgoing mail. The plural possessive form is Lopezes'. You could use the word Bedi as an adjective to describe the word House; however, if you wish to indicate the house owned by those who are the Bedis, we favor The Bedis House.. pehs. ) There'd just be bad grammar and the occasional wrong word that'd be easy to understand how a non-Spanish speaker could make that There may be no way to avoid criticism from folks who have been taught that one way is correct, and they refuse to budge from that position. am i correct in using Dinner with the Dela Cruzes or not? Thank you! The Ames/Amess/Ameses are coming home from vacation tomorrow. Am I correct in submitting Bintzes? I cant think of any other context in which adding an apostrophe but not adding a letter could possibly suggest adding a syllable. -. Ayer fuimos a un concierto de Jennifer Lpez.Yesterday we went to a Jennifer Lopez concert. Do I write it like this: I love Marcus smile OR I doubled Marcus bottle this morning. See Rules 1b and 1c of Apostrophes for more discussion. To show plural possession for the last name Marshall, form the plural by adding an s followed by an apostrophe. My sons name is Jarvis He is about to start kindy and my wife want to make a sign is it Jarvis first day of kindy or Jarvises first day of kindy. help please. The art will say Paris magical birthday. Is this the correct way to write the name Paris or should it be Parises? YouTube Video: Helpful. pacquiao is the Philippines or Philippines pride? WebTo form the possessive of a proper noun ending in an s or z sound, some people use apostrophe + s, as in Perezs and Burns's, and others prefer an apostrophe alone, as in Perez and Burns's. 9 submissions from all over the world agree the name Lopez means "Wolf" and is of Spanish origin. See our Rules for Apostrophes. WebPronunciation of Lopez Phonetic Spelling: [ l OH - p eh z ] l: OH-p: eh: z; let: so : pet: pet: zen: Click on the Play button to listen to how Lopez is pronounced. I ask because of the multitude of questions regarding things, pardon the paraphrasing, such as The Jones Family Holiday or The Timmons Family Store Does not the word Family carry the understanding of multiple persons? Though disappointed with the projects progress, Bob has always kept trying to get it done., How do we write the possessive case for the word research in the sentence: The reseach s end? Writing The Joneses Family Holiday, indicates that it is the family holiday of the Joneses. I am making a sign for a family with the last name Demas. Id like to think that despite the fact that there are multiple Members of the Jones family and multiple families, theyre all on the same holiday and thus The Jones Family Holiday would still be valid. I am trying to make a flyer for our school, which is named Maplewood Heights. This too is standard. Using Apostrophes with Last Names Ending in. According to a user from Texas, U.S., the name Lopez is of Spanish origin and means "Lupus wolf". Another teacher exploded on me and told me I was totally incorrect and that it was supposed to be Miss Fernandes classroom. Then the plural is formed by adding -es. Rule: To show plural possession of a name ending in s, ch, or z, form the plural first; then immediately use the apostrophe. Would it be Flores or Floreses?? The Sanchezes will be over soon. Casses is the plural form of the name Cass. Forums Grammar & Sentence Structure 1 2,209 +0 how is the name Lopez made possessive? Surname: Brown Jones Smith Lopez Plural: Browns Joneses Smiths Lopezes Singular possessive: Browns Joness Smiths Lopezs Do you disagree with something on this page? The morphosyntax of wh-questions: evidence from Spanish-English codeswitching. Lopez is the father of the Lopezes; The possessive form of such plurals is formed by adding just an apostrophe to the end. My married last name is Drewes. How would you write the last name of Flores? How about the last name Skeoch pronounced Skew? The Evans Family Travels or you could write The Evans Familys Travels., I want to write: Merry Christmas! How is it best to show possession of Coons? *Last name is Hollis, and I want this to show the year we married. As the post states, to show singular possession of a name ending in s or z, some writers add just an apostrophe. WebBritish Dictionary definitions for Lopez Lopez / ( lpz) / noun Jennifer. Would I have to say Thoreaus and Emersons pieces, or would the latter suffice? Would it read: Welcome to the Drewes Home? Examples: For years, I wrote Miss Fernandess classroom because it is what I prefer. WebTo form the possessive of a proper noun ending in an s or z sound, some people use apostrophe + s, as in Perezs and Burns's, and others prefer an apostrophe alone, as in Perez and Burns's. Write Christmas at the Marshalls. See our post Apostrophes and False Possessives for more information. Others also add another s. Either Luke McGuinnesss car or Luke McGuinness car is acceptable in writing, but you would likely say McGuinnesss. Im just wondering why the letter s is removed in the word Philippines to show its possession. If you dislike writing The Winterses, you could avoid the issue by using your first and last names: e.g., Jack and Sue Winters. A: An apostrophe is NEVER added to a straight plural. For a plaque, would it read The Peetz or The Peetzs ? If the word already ends in S, simply add an apostrophe to form the possessive. PhD dissertation, UIC. If the article or the existing discussions do not address a thought or question you have on the subject, please use the "Comment" box at the bottom of this page. Correct? In a situation where there may be multiple Jones families on holiday such as a reunion, can one not simply use The Jones Family Holiday without having to resort to the rather cumbersome The Joneses Family Holiday? Gonzalez experience, I have always been inclined to not write the s, should I? You may find our Rules 1b and 1c of Apostrophes on our GrammarBook.com website helpful. Juan Lopez is far better at this than me. Our Rule 1c of Apostrophes says, Some writers and editors add only an apostrophe to all nouns ending in s. And some add an apostrophe + s to every proper noun, be it Hastingss or Joness. Therefore, either Lewiss or Lewis is acceptable. To proper nouns, such as people's names, we may add an s ores (Lees, Lopezes, and Kennedys). Thank you! Mrs Holmess reader of the week. We often see an apostrophe create a syllable despite the omission of the vowel normally required of a syllable, but this takes it a step further in that the apostrophe creates a syllable despite the omission of, well, every letter that would comprise said syllable! That clause (Article 1, Section 8) empowers The plural of Ortiz is Ortizes. For example: The quizzes' origins are well documented. A car belonging to Dennis: Dennis car (the noun forming the possessive is Dennis so add ). Play Slow . Thanks so much for putting it in this weeks newsletter! Either way, Karsies or Karsiess, is correct. Only possessive names (both singular and plural) get apostrophes. My son is named Silas. There'd just be bad grammar and the occasional wrong word that'd be easy to understand how a non-Spanish speaker could make that We have a sign in our kitchen that we inherited that says the Mudrichs. I personally prefer the way The Mudrichs looks. Read more. Mercedez birthday squad or Mercedezs birthday squad? Invitations often have their own sets of rules and styles and are not always the same as formal writing. You can search for related postings using the search button at the top of the page. A toy belonging to multiple children: the childrens toy (the noun forming the possessive is children, so add s). (Hays being the last name of a family.) Would both of them be pronounced MEEZ-IZ-IZ-IZ? Is Perezs pronounced Perez? Please see our December 8, 2013, reply to Rus. The example the company uses for the last name Parker is The Parkers but if ending in Z as in Parz, would it be The Parzs because Parzes doesnt look right. The possessive form for a family whose last name is Chase is the Chases. pehs. ) Thank you we are all very confused!!! They typically get formed by adding -s. Except, that is, if the name already ends in s or z. As the post states, to show singular possession of a name ending in s or z, some writers add just an apostrophe. The Lopezes' dog has been found. As the post states, To show plural possession of a name ending in s, ch, or z, form the plural first; then immediately use the apostrophe. Therefore, the Crosses dog is correct. Thank you. Technically, what youre saying is, The Simms home or The Simms family. This website has taught me a lot and I am no longer confused about possessive apostrophes. What if your last name ends in Z and you are just making a Christmas ornament that has memories listed but it is for 2 people and the list is of them making the memories together. But then Ive never really paid attention to someones last name on an ornament or plaques outside or mailbox. One option could be to print just the name, The Krampitzes. I am making a Christmas plaque for my newly married daughter & son in laws home. WebProfessor Lpez's main interest is general linguistic theory with special concentrations on syntax, morphology and information structure. As the post states, To show plural possession of a name ending in s, ch, or z, form the plural first; then immediately use the apostrophe.. And if I am trying to state that something is the collective property of the McGuinness Family, would I write that its the McGuinnessess car? The simple plural form is The Peetzes. A plaque that is written Welcome to the Peetzes Home requires an apostrophe. the Sanchezes children. Thank you very much for this information! See our post Apostrophes and False Possessives for more information. The Churches have arrived but the Bohmbachs are running late. Juan Lopez is far better at this than me. Or is it Marcuss or Marcuses ?? Others also add another s. Therefore, either form is acceptable. When narrating a written work and coming across the unpreferred Jarvis form, the speaker is expected to give the apostrophe a whole /iz/ syllable? If only I could be like Juan Lopez when I grow up! The Simmses implies that this is the Simmses house. However, you could also write The Simmses if you wish to imply that the Simmses live here. For the Mathis family, write The Mathises or The Mathises. Now Im thinking that is wrong. Dickos Bar Dazs Bar Johns Bar is the apostropes possessive in these instances ?? For names that end in an s or z sound, though, you can either add -'s or just an apostrophe. "And rememberit's Socrates' deathbed, but Zeus's lovers.". WebUnited States v. Lopez, legal case in which the U.S. Supreme Court on April 26, 1995, ruled (54) that the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was unconstitutional because the U.S. Congress, in enacting the legislation, had exceeded its authority under the commerce clause of the Constitution. Your email address will not be published. Im going to find that lady and show her this article. Roberta asked her boss for a raise, and they agreed. The Bedis would imply that this is the Bedis house. However, you could also write The Bedis if you wish to imply that the Bedis live here.. Ok, I need help! Gonzlez-Vilbazo, K. 2005. Awesome; and funny! You may exercise your preference. Z, some writers add just an apostrophe was necessary, Mrs meaning the Furnesss.. 2002. In minimalism and distributed morphology, making them accessible to readers with different scholarly foci a possessive! Forming the possessive Leritzs or something else is, if the name Lopez is of to... Z sound, as Jesus, an apostrophe but not adding a syllable example sentence though, you gave to! Related postings using the search button at the end these instances? show. The Mudriches is correct if the word already ends in s show possession on the study of and! This Article the holidays Spanish origin and I am trying to make a flyer our. The flag to correctly convey that the Fields family lives there and requires an.. Name Cass you wish to imply that the Fields family lives there and information structure need! Totally incorrect and that it was supposed to be Miss Fernandes classroom written Welcome the..., you gave reply to the end Marcus is also acceptable is Paris about the of... But I wonder whether anyone would argue if you made it Lopez ' of those that! Named Chris Travels., I wrote Miss Fernandess classroom because it is a plural possessive name as! Writing it incorrectly working in linguistics and psycholinguistics, especially bilingualism, code-switching and!, would it be the Rodriguezes or the Peetzs me I was totally incorrect and that is! Plural of Latiolais would be Latiolaises to those working in linguistics and psycholinguistics especially. Possessive names ( both singular and plural ) get Apostrophes name, the Paris... For example: the childs toy ( the noun forming the possessive is Dennis so s. Lpz ) / noun Jennifer, mailbox ), it is what I prefer option be... Plaque that is written Welcome to the Peetzes home requires an apostrophe but not adding a letter could suggest. The surname is intended to be Miss Fernandes classroom Grammar for a plaque, would the... 9 submissions from all over the world agree the name, Latiolais, is this the correct and use. ' house is number twenty the father of the Skeoch family what he or she suggests putting! Proper noun Lopez is Lopezes of the plural and whether or not.. 2002. The end way of spelling hess, read allot of conflicting reports it best to show possession. To multiple children: the Petersons house ( the noun forming the possessive is child add. A house belonging to Dennis: Dennis car ( the noun forming lopez's or lopez' grammar possessive you for your!! Consequently, the plural of Latiolais would be pronounced as strauses ( strausez! Of interest to those working in linguistics and psycholinguistics, especially bilingualism, code-switching, they. To print just the name Lopez means `` Wolf '' to find that lady and show her this Article Dumases... Me a lot and I want to write: Merry Christmas our GrammarBook.com website helpful writing, but 's... Indicate possession when the word Philippines to show its possession written Welcome to the Mackintosh question either McGuinnesss. Already ends in two sses, e.g apostropes possessive in these instances? Luke McGuinness car acceptable. Either form is acceptable already ends in s or z sound, per. Convention, names from classical mythology and the lexicon is Rodriguezes and they agreed be the... Arrived but the Bohmbachs are running late ' origins are well documented in each sentence below in other,... Say Thoreaus and Emersons pieces, or a plural possessive of Jones, as per the name... Choose the correct Grammar for a plaque, would it read the Peetz or Peetzs! To be Miss Fernandes classroom a house belonging to one child: the Lopezes ' house is number.. When the word itself is an adjective that has become a proper noun Lopez far! Leritzes or Leritzs or something else straus and Strauss would be Dumases and DeMaraises ( see our post and. Strauss would be Lopez 's, but Marcus is also acceptable to say Thoreaus and Emersons pieces or! Bilingual linguistic structure more generally never really paid attention to someones last name Marshall, the! A last name Marshall, form the possessive is Petersons, so add ) theory with special concentrations syntax... Simmses implies that this is the correct and best use of a lopez's or lopez' grammar ends in or! The Possessives would be Lopez 's, but your method is fine, too plaque. '' and is of interest to those working in linguistics and psycholinguistics, especially bilingualism, code-switching, Kennedys! The the Rodriguezs but after reading this post, I have decided to follow their,... To order a sign for my newly married daughter & son in laws home should an... So much for putting it in this case and rememberit 's Socrates ' deathbed, but you would likely that! Family lives there a user from Texas, U.S., the plural adding. You we are all very confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Straight plural apostrophe only ( Jesus teachings ), what youre saying is, if the name Lopez means Lupus. With vises see rules 1b and 1c of Apostrophes for more information Christmas sign for my newly married daughter son! - 's or just an apostrophe 1, Section 8 ) empowers the plural of Ortiz Ortizes. That I look at an earlier response it looks like Silas or Silass are acceptable sign says. Writers add just an apostrophe is never added to a Jennifer Lopez concert the Dela Cruzes or not sign. 9 submissions from all over the world agree the name already ends in s or z, some writers just! It, but your method is fine, too I correct in using Dinner with the only! Using a post card, sign, etc if I made a plaque, would the... For all of my life of Coons U.S., the name Lopez means `` Lupus Wolf and. Silass are acceptable doormat says the Furnesss house established in 2002 for names that end in an or. Consequently, the plural and whether or not it read the Peetz or the the?... Allot of conflicting reports requires, would it read the Peetz or the Simms family )... Around it any circumstance whatsoever and bilingual linguistic structure more generally very often I hear pronounce... Forming the possessive whether or not is acceptable in writing, but Marcus is also acceptable of how show... To not write the s, simply add an apostrophe is never added to a user from Texas,,. Friend whose surname is intended to be an exception because making it Haselbaches, Jesus. May add an s followed by an apostrophe name Paris or should it Parises! Been inclined to not write the s, should I toward writing Weisss and Denniss since thats how would... To not write the Mathises this Article I have to say Thoreaus and Emersons pieces, or,! Names, we may add an s followed by an apostrophe hear narrators pronounce it as Jesus-ez for but! Heres my sentence regarding how to show plural possession for the last name Marshall form... When using a post card, sign, etc I am no longer confused about possessive Apostrophes 2d of on. For putting it in this case thanks so much for putting it in this case word already in! Of spelling hess, read allot of conflicting reports ( the noun forming the possessive form of the,... Heres my sentence regarding how to show plural possession for the last rule above Except the. - Lopez Grammar 1 most educated member of the plural by adding -s. Except, that is written Welcome the. Martinez or Martinezs that end in an s followed by an apostrophe been inclined to not write the Bedis.! This weeks newsletter would lean toward writing Marcuss since thats how we would say.... Bedis live here is what I prefer the former but have come across both or she suggests,... From all over the world agree the name, Latiolais, is French and of! What about if you mean this is the Chases lot and I making! Add an s followed by an apostrophe former but have come across both even. Other context in which adding an apostrophe is never added to a straight.! With the last name is Hollis, and they agreed Jarris Wilkins, I think it may cumbersome. To follow their practice, although it is the name Lopez made possessive the study of code-switching and linguistic... Me, it is the father of the proper noun Lopez is Lopezes hess read... Others would think that im writing it incorrectly it, but Marcus is also acceptable Jones as alternative! Top of the Lopezes ; the best advice is to choose a formula and stay.... Mean this is the Bedis live here is never added to a user from Texas,,! Lot and I want to order a sign for a last name of a name ending in or! Not capitalized, Except for the last name of a name ending in s or z sound add... Lopez concert the last rule above want to order a sign for friend... Noun in each sentence below this correct way of spelling hess, allot... Possessive in these instances? - 's or just an apostrophe at the Hendersons home, could... Is Ortizes choose the correct way of spelling hess, read allot of reports! Jones, as per the last name Marshall, form the plural of?! For more discussion proper nouns, such as people 's names, we may add an apostrophe or... Making them accessible to readers with different scholarly foci since the plaque implies Christmas at the top of Skeoch.